1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a used Prius...which is a better deal?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Sunshine93, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Sunshine93

Sunshine93 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently started a new job and have a 100 mile round trip commute every day. I currently drive a small SUV and get about 22 miles per gallon. After some research, I decided a Prius may be just what I need. I've found 2 that I'm interested in, but can't decide between the two. Which seems like a better deal? Option A or Option B?

Option A:

2010 Prius I or maybe II (guy was unsure)
    Super White (Fleet vehicle? Was originally titled under 7-Eleven)
    71,000 miles
    Great shape outside - only a few minor chips
    2 owners
    $12,900

Option B;

2011 Prius IV
    Blizzard Pearl
    88,000 miles
    Great shape - a few more dings than option A
    1 owner - regular maintenance at a local dealer
    $15,000

Both cars really look great. The Prius IV is tempting because of the "extras" it offers, but the lower mileage and cheaper price are tempting on the other.

Decisions, decisions...

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Considering you will be putting 25,000+ miles on it a year, and assuming both vehicles have had adequate maintenance performed to date, you really just have to decide if the cruise control (if Level I), radio and Leather upgrades are worth the difference in $2,100 gas money.

3. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    And the rear view camera, the navi, the leather seats…..If your are going to live in it for 25k a year, be as comfortable as possible.

elementnomore likes this.
  4. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I believe the 1 was sold to fleets exclusively (if that's what it is).

I'd spring for option B for the higher equipment level and younger chronological age.

The difference in miles between the two seems pretty insignificant.

elementnomore likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! how many years do you plan to keep it? the hybrid warranty runs out at 8/100 or 10/150. i could not do 100 miles a day without cruise. does the IV have power seat? that is supposed to be much more comfy than manual.

6. Sunshine93

Sunshine93 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I would imagine 3-5 years.

7. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    When we got our first black FFH we tried to be as cheap as possible with only a few features above the base model. However, over time we realized that we had made a mistake. As we're planning to keep it for 10+ years and 100,000+ miles, it makes sense to get one that's well equipped and has advanced safety features. Fortunately we were able to get a great deal on a closeout 2013 to trade up for a very small price premium. The incentives on the second FFH were enough greater compared to when we brought our car originally that the extra features didn't cost us anything.

You might not have such an option though...my recommendation would be to get the higher trim model since you'll be spending so much time in this car.

Also, a fleet vehicle is likely driven into the ground and abused. The other one which has been serviced at a local dealer is likely in better shape. See if you can have a local independent mechanic that specializes in hybrids do a used car inspection on both to compare as well.

8. Sunshine93

Sunshine93 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I'm not sure about the power seat - I just drove it and can't remember :)

The 2011 also has another 2 years left on the extended warranty for both the exterior and interior.

hybridbear likes this.
  9. AEROENGR

AEROENGR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Assuming the cars are in equivalent mechanical condition, I would go for option A without any hesitation. Significantly less money and 17,000 fewer miles - the better part of a year's usage. $2100 is more than I would be willing to pay for cruise control and leather seats. Save the difference in purchase price for the down payment on a house, your children's college education or some other worthwhile purpose. For me, it would not be too uncomfortable to sit on a cloth seat or keep my foot on the gas pedal instead of having a cruise control. I own a 2011 Prius 2 and a 2013 Prius C2. I never use cruise control in either car. At work, I sit in a cloth chair in front of my computer for 9 hours a day. Do I really need leather?

10. camry25

camry25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Which is more durable leather or other material seats? How durable is the leather set

11. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There are not many 2010 Model I's on the road. If the door unlocks without a key and it has the extra cruise control stalk on the right side of the steering wheel then it's a II.
    Since you will be running the car into the ground with that high mileage I would go with the cheaper car.

12. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My 11Prius had cloth seats which were in very good shape when I sold it. Leather requires maintenance, cloth just cleaning, but if maintained leather should last longer.

13. R1CH13

R1CH13 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Drive both see which one feels more comfortable to you. Not many of us have the IV which has leather, bluetooth, smart key for passenger door, trunk, back up camera, and etc. Also the paint on a blizzard pearl is triple coated vs super white which is double coated. Miles don't mean much to me since I know with a Toyota I will at least get 200,000 miles before I may consider getting another car. In conclusion, I would lean towards Option B for the comfort and features but it's your choice. Maybe bargain the price down to $14,500?

14. vutown

vutown New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd go with option B. 2010 had a few bugs that were worked out in 2011 (Master Brake Cyclinder, etc) The difference in miles will quickly be a non-factor in my opinion. See if you can bargain option B down a bit. Personally I have the leather seats and it feels a lot nicer than the cloth seats. Good luck!

15. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Was the Prius 1 available in the 2010 model year?

16. qdogfball

qdogfball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At 25K per year, you will be spending what? 50-70 minutes per trip in it? That is 12 + hours per week?

Get the upgrade for your body and comfort (y)

In our area, 2011 are going for around $14,500 for that mileage.

17. Hybrid Dave

Hybrid Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had a similar situation. There was a 2010 Prius I that was pretty dinged up but only 26k miles for $17,900 or a loaded black 2010 Prius IV in nearly perfect shape and 50k miles for $17,990. I ended up with the Prius IV and got it for $16,200. It had more miles, but the leather felt so much softer, the black looked so nice and even though I didn't care about options at the time, I have grown to love the nav, smart key, bluetooth from audio streaming, tinted Windows, etc. I've since added Chrome wheel covers, trim and about to add a shark fin and smoked tail lights. Such a beautiful car. Never had any regrets.