1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a Used Prius. Who should inspect it?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by thinksachi, Sep 11, 2017.

1. thinksachi

thinksachi New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking to buy either a 1st or 2nd generation prius from a private owner. I want to have it inspected. Will any mechanic work or do I need to bring it to some sort of specialized shop? If so, what kind or whom should I look for?

Apologies if I posted to the wrong sub. There are so many subs that I couldn't figure out which to post to.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try calling a few Toyota dealership service departments, present your request more or less as you have here, listen carefully to their responses. They may have done this before, or they may just be making it up as they go along, hard to say. If they seem to have some solid proposals, they may be your best bet, since they have Techstream, can do the esoteric stuff like check hybrid battery status.

For basic automotive road worthiness, any competent mechanic will do.

Don't discount your own inspection either: look it over carefully, looking for accident evidence (not necessarily deal breakers, but factors), rust, interior cleanliness, rust, underbody condition, wheels/tires, and on and on.

RCO likes this.
  3. thinksachi

thinksachi New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What kind of questions should I be asking? I called a couple of dealers in my area and both said yes with one quoting $70 and another quoting $160. Both said they were able to inspect the battery. Seems like a big disparity b/w the two and I wasn't sure how to follow up since I don't know much.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    be very cautious of gen 1, and careful of gen 2 batteries, most inspections will only show you what's obviously and currently wrong. (which is important)

RCO likes this.
  5. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any info is better than none. If you can get a real read on why the vehicle is being sold, that might be helpful to know. A lot of folks will drop an older car when they feel the cost of repair is exceeding the value of the vehicle. The dealer will be able to tell you if there are any trouble codes on the computers and if they have been cleared recently.

Don't know if the difference between the $70 and the $160 inspections is better information or more profit. Figure in some fraction of the cost of a new battery into any used deal on a vehicle a decade old or more. If you need it, you have a cushion; if you don't, just keep driving!

RCO likes this.