1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

buying advice? MA

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by wakefield, Mar 15, 2008.

1. wakefield

wakefield New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hey all. Looking for advice on getting the best price. I'm planning on buying a Prius sometime after I move to Massachusetts this summer, since MA apparently charges full sales tax on cars purchased within 6 months of moving, even if you've paid sales tax elsewhere (Wth!?). Anyway, when's the best time to buy? Are prices likely to drop when we get close to '09 models, or is availability going to be a problem?

I don't need frills, so I'll be looking for either a base model or maybe package #2 for the VSC. I'm unsure whether I want Touring or not, but I suspect I'd prefer a softer ride.

Edit: should amend that this will be my first actual car purchase -- my first car was a hand-me-down 1987 Corolla, and more recently I've been using a car sharing service (usually drive one of their Civic Hybrids ... : D). So I'm new to this whole process...

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Judging by last year, there was not a surplus of cars at the end of the year - I recall seeing several people complaining about not having a good selection last summer.

Not sure if that will be the case again, but with gas prices going up, I would expect so.

As far as Touring vs. Regular, I would test drive both if possible. I think in most areas, the Touring is harder to find.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  4. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There is no simple answer to when is it best to buy, but in general at the end of a model year; calendar quarter or month-end (in that order) is a good time to look. However the over riding factor is supply and demand and this can vary with time or geographically.
    I shopped around on the internet and always checked the number of cars the dealers had in inventory. Then I focused in on a dealer who not only had a lot of cars in inventory but also other dealers nearby had a good stock of them. This creates competition in a "small" area.
    The web-site JimN gave you is excellent information source. Take a look and learn before you actually negotiate with the dealer.
    Good luck,
    Gabe

5. wakefield

wakefield New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius