1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying Advice: Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by imichaeldotorg, Jan 3, 2007.

1. imichaeldotorg

imichaeldotorg New Member

I'm in the market for a new 2007 Prius, and I'm looking for any help you all might be able to provide.

1) Model - Is there anyone out there who's driven both a 2007 Prius and a 2007 Prius Touring?
    • How is the handling different between the two?
    • Any other noticeable differences/likes/dislikes?
    • Touring vs. Regular: Worth the price difference?
    2) Handling - I commute 65 miles to work each day (one way) primarily on the Washington DC Beltway (I-495) and I-95 between Baltimore and DC. I-95 usually averages around 75-80MPH, and the Beltway is often stop-and go.
    • How does the Prius perform at 75-80?
    • Is it even possible to easily sustain that speed?
    • What about manuvering in traffic at that speed?
    • Does MPG really go down that much while driving at that speed?
    • Is the positive impact of a hybrid negated by driving that fast?
    3) Navigation System
    • Does the Nav System display a "TomTom"-like 3D representation of the road ahead?
    • Night Mode? Good/Bad?
    • Does it recalculate your route if you deviate from a pre-planned route?
    • Is there an easy way to say "Direct me to *Stored Address* from current location"?
    4) Bluetooth
    • Anyone experienced with the Bluetooth system using a Palm Treo 700p? I've seen mixed reports, but nothing really useful.... I'm unsure of how well it will work.
    5) Audio System
    • How does the Aux Audio input work? It's located in the glove box, yes? How do you switch to it in the Audio system?
    • MP3/WMA - does it display track info on the display?
    6) Radio reception
    • Good? Bad?
    7) Cupholders - (I drive to work at 5AM, and you bet I need my MiGo mug...)
    • Too Small? Too Large? Akwardly placed?
    8) Aux Power Port(s) - aka "Cigarette Lighter" ports
    • How Many?
    • Where?
    9) Any specific things I should be looking for when I test-drive?

10) Reasonable price? I've been told a pretty varying numbers - for the top package Touring model everything from $27,800 to $29,876. Thoughts?

Thanks ahead of time - I really want one but I'd like to be more informed when I test-drive (and buy?) one in the next couple of weeks.

2. trilect

trilect New Member

I bought a 2007 standard prius last night with option #2

Basically I drive 120 miles a day and only wanted the VSC (vehical stability control) which came in option #2. My car also came with a 6 disk cd changer that will probably never be used because of my ipod.

The reason I chose the standard prius over the touring edition was simple. Tires and the tuned suspension. I didn't want to spend more money when it came time to replace the tires as far as the tuned suspension goes I did take a test drive in the touring version and a standard version, the only difference I could feel was in the stiffness of the ride. I also noticed that the view out the back seems a little more restricted in the touring version due to the spoiler. (I could have been imagining this but the spoiler seemed different to me).

I can't answer your question about driving 75 mph because I've always driven 65 or less with all my cars. I see no problems with the prius at 65.

Handling. Its not a sports car thats for sure. But I find it comparably to a camery handling wise. It has a similar feel.

The AUX is in the console between the seats along with a cig power adapter. Just plug it in and hit the AUX/CD button on the dash. Works like a charm, I don't like its location but I'll adjust. The radio reception and sound is really very good for a stock system, I have no complaints.

AS far as the GPS, I didn't really want to spend the money for the in car option that gave me the GPS and instead bought a Tomtom and make a lesser car payment. I spent 24500 for my prius new and thats about all I wanted to spend. I feel like I got what I intended.

I realize that I don't have much experience with the car yet but IMO its a great car that does what its designed to do very well.

3. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iMichael.org @ Jan 3 2007, 02:31 PM) [snapback]370229[/snapback]</div>
    It'll sustain that speed easily. The acceleration at the high end is kind of a killer, though. It's not as "squirtable" as my old car felt at those speeds, so you should probably add that into your test drive. A lot of this depends on what you are used to driving, or what you expect. Anyway, handling seems fine, but the Touring Edition might be a better choice with the lower profile/wider tires and retuned suspension. You should still see 46 ~ 48MPG or so at that speed, and you will kick nice person economy-wise in the stop and go. You are still going to be saving gas, and polluting less, even at those speeds, when compared to most other cars.

I can't really comment about a lot of the other questions you ask, but I know here that I now see 10 or 12 Prius's on the dealer's lots where I used to see maybe one or two, so there should be at least some flexibility in price now.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iMichael.org @ Jan 3 2007, 02:31 PM) [snapback]370229[/snapback]</div>
    -on longer trips we regularly hit the road at 80-85 and it seems fine to us, then again we weren't coming from a high end car like a benz or bimmer.
    -sure is.
    -how heavy? we got caught in the rush hour in chicago once (and vow to never do so again) and were able to do just fine
    -well you're not gonna get EPA that's for sure. our average 1200 mile trip at around 80 mph ends up being 42-44 mpg
    -if you manage to pull off 25 mpg, yes. ;) though i don't think i've ever managed to do that, even while TRYING to.

works for us here in the city. a few scattered complaints around the board but i've never experienced any problem.

they're ok too. seem reasonably sized, there is a spot for a 1l bottle in the door pocket if you've got something bigger.

2, i think. someone correct me if not. one just above the passenger footwell and one in the center console.

5. trilect

trilect New Member

Another thing I wanted to ad that most may already know.

Extended warranty is cheaper elsewhere.

scotch guarding is easy and cheap to do your self.

Polyshield takes approx 3 hours to do oneself if you buy the 19.95 bottle of DP Polyshield.

Changing the oil yourself is cheaper than prepaying for service (even if they replace your tires for the life of the vehical)

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I own an '06 with the TRD suspension which I had installed on the car almost when it was new...I've not driven either '07. That said, I've heard some folks say the Touring is head and shoulders above the standard model in handling; others seem to find less of a difference between the two. Note that the Touring uses these full-coverage plastic wheelcovers over the wheels; some like they way they look and others don't.

I used to drive a Porsche 993 Carrera; the Prius is not a Porsche but is, in my opinion, one of those cars that tends to under-promise and over-deliver. It does feel like it's got really 'long legs' at normal freeway speeds, it's still good at 80 plus (but seems like there's a bit too much lift) and feels to me like there's lots more where that came from...but by 90-95 its composure seems to fall off a bit. And since the top end is about 104mph, there really isn't much above that anyway.

Anything above 60-ish mph and you'll take a significant hit on mileage. The good news is you'll still be getting LOTS better mileage than if you were in a conventional car of similar size, at the same speed.

The Prius tends to drive like a vehicle with a longer wheelbase, which means to me that you have to be sure to give the rear end a little extra time to follow or you might catch a right rear tire on a curb (in a RH turn). It's stable in traffic and the safety features, especially the one that applies the brakes harder if you jab the pedal suddenly, are (in my opinion) totally worth it. The traction control is another matter, however [smile].

I'm not a NAV system expert. I recall that it's easy to get it to direct you to a stored address from your current location, and it will recalculate the route (double check me on this, though) if you suspend guidance then resume it after travelling a bit. Night mode is okay, and there is a mode (freeway mode?) that shows a representation of the road ahead, with the lanes and exits, etc. Don't know if that's only on the freeway, and I've heard that JDM Prii have lots more detail...someone said that theirs even shows the interior of parking garages(!)

I avoid cellphones like the plague.

The aux input is in the center console, and there's a power outlet there too. Plug in your device and you can toggle between aux and the other functions. Don't know about the WMA functionality. Radio reception is pretty good, somewhat less so with the shark fin antenna that some folks add as an aftermarket accessory. Cup holders are okay, but don't have those spring loaded fingers which hold the cup.

Some people seem to find the seats lacking support/supportive in the wrong places, some dislike the cloth while others find it perfectly adequate (and cheaper too).

7. PLMurphy

PLMurphy New Member

Good questions, I can answer some of them. We own two 2007 Touring models, gray and black, with Pkg.2. We just finished a trip from Virginia to NYC and averaged 42mpg at 65-75mph speed. All Interstate 95 and NJ Turnpike--no problems from trucks, headwinds or rain. It handles good with a minimum of road noise. We replaced a very noisy Mazda Tribute and a great luxury-like car Toyota Avalon. The trunk and fold-down seats load like the SUV and the road comfortable is acceptable compared to the Avalon. Good beltway car and HOV lane car. If I commuted in DC/Balt., I would own a Prius.

1. MPG ranges from 39-43mpg.
    2. Touring is excellent to drive; other than the test drive I cannot compare to old version
    3. One aux port under glove compartment in center area.
    4. Price: $less than $26000 MSRP, including dealer leather for $895. The leather makes the interior.
    5. Cupholders great, plus there are two more behind center console
    6. Standard radio w/4 speakers/one CD player is great. It will pickup WMAL, WBAL, etc. very well.
    7. No bluetooth or nav system.

8. cliffdvr

cliffdvr New Member

I had an 06 standard Prius for 6 months driving over 200 miles a day to work and back. I was hit in an accident and had the car totaled out. We replaced it with an 07 touring Prius. So...
    Handling in the touring Prius is so much better! Its worth the extra money. Not anything that you can feel in a quick test drive. We also got the VSC with this one.
    And you should not have a problem getting some kind of discount off the top of MSRP. These cars are not moving off the lot as fast as last year.
    We did not get the NAV system or bluethooth so I can't say on those.
    And so far we are getting 48 MPG on the touring with only 100 miles on it, should get better.
    The 06 Prius averaged 47.8 MPG after it broke in, it had just over 21000 on it when I crashed it.
    Hope this helps...

9. imichaeldotorg

Thanks for all the help - keep the opinions coming!

So ... another question. I'm sensing that people seem to think that the GPS isn't generally worth the price, especially since one can get a TomTom (or the like) for a much cheaper price than a package upgrade.

Anyone disagree? What's awesome about the Nav system?

10. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iMichael.org @ Jan 3 2007, 06:56 PM) [snapback]370405[/snapback]</div>
    It's built into the dash.

11. imichaeldotorg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jan 3 2007, 07:04 PM) [snapback]370408[/snapback]</div>

Anyone have any experience mounting a TomTom on the windshield? Does it really obstruct the view?

I'm having a hard time justifying a $3k increase just because it's built into the dash. If it looked like those photos I've seen in the Japanese mag with the 3D views and things, I might go for it.

12. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iMichael.org @ Jan 3 2007, 07:13 PM) [snapback]370413[/snapback]</div>
    The 3K increase covers more than the NAV system, though, doesn't it?

Is this going to be used for navigating the car, or for impressing your passengers?

I figure, whichever electronic gizmo you buy will almost immediately be obsolete/superceded by a more capable model/give you that itch to replace it with something more bitchin' ASAP.

But...if it fulfills the function for which it was bought, then it really doesn't matter how old it is, as long as it still works...right?

What I'm saying is that, in a year or two, both the OEM nav system and that Tom-Tom thing (what a goofy name, that!) will be ancient history...perhaps you should get the Tom-Tom with the idea of replacing it regularly as the technology changes...?

This way you can make sure you're always on the cutting edge. To me, it's sounding more and more like this is what you may be looking for, versus than the actual quality/functionality of the unit.

Generally speaking, the whiz-bang electronics in the Prius are good, but do not entirely replace the conventional controls. If you're looking to have this totally computerized, voice recognizing, 3-D displaying talking car, you may be in for a bit of a surprise.

13. imichaeldotorg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jan 3 2007, 07:39 PM) [snapback]370423[/snapback]</div>
    I suppose that's true... Although I really do like the idea of a built-in unit. I've already installed my own CarPC, and I love it except that the monitor is really in the way. And I'm looking for something that is a more integrated solution - I used my CarPC for a couple days and then never really touched it again.

So I guess I should save my money.

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One aspect that no one has mentioned but I see quite frequently on this forum and in my own habits is, how your driving style may change after purchasing the Prius.

I come from a drag racing background. My last 4 cars:

1987 Mustang GT: 351w Vortech superhcharged blah blah blah 9sec capable

2000 Trans Am: Heads/Cam/Nitrous 4400 stall converter 11.12@123mph 1.57 60'

2000 Corvette C5: airfilter, Z06 exhaust 12.50@111mph

2001 GMC Ext.Cab 4x4: Turbocharged, heads/cam 12.33@110mph 1.85 60' @5250lb raceweight.

Now considering I have been racing since I was 18 I drove like the typical jerk on the freeway. IE everyone was in my way and not going fast enough etc etc. I've been in over 4 fights on the side of the road due to road rage. After buying the Prius I started to slow down and play with getting great milage instead of trying to make record time. I found that I was less stressed and felt better once I arrived at my destination. I simply shake my head at the idiots that drive the way I used to. The problem is, once I climb back into my 4x4 I get those urges to go fast, burn rubber and basically become an idiot again. Fortunately I am able to control myself and I tend to drive even it slow with just the occassional WOT burst of idiocy. ;)

My point is, most people are not concerned with the high speed performance of the Prius simply becuse most of us don't drive that that anymore since purchasing one. I have never thought to myself "man I wish this thing had more power". I accept the car for what it is and am VERY satisfied with it. In fact it is tied with #1 for my favorite car I've owned. The Corvette was the other choice only because it was fast, beautiful and got 28mpg (ag.) on the freeway. :)

15. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iMichael.org @ Jan 3 2007, 07:42 PM) [snapback]370426[/snapback]</div>
    Well, perhaps...I should tell you that I'm not particularly fond of consumer electronics...even working with the IT folks here at the office (so my PDA syncs with Outlook) scared the daylights out of me

That said...

I think it might be interesting to save money on the NAV and buy one of those CAN-View devices; lots of functional info about the operation of the car. It would really allow you to get to know how your Prius works, perhaps similarly to the CarPC...?

A few folks here on PC have done so, and I'm constantly amazed by the information they're able to glean.

16. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nothing much to add, but simply to confirm what others have said. The Prius is a surprisingly good cruiser at 80---but the little ICE sounds/is loud accelerating to get to that point. Once there, though (and with the CVT as it is), the car settles into a suddenly quiet ride. If you have to keep re-accelerating to repeatedly get to 80, it may be annoying, which is why I mention it. That acceleration time from, say, 30 or 40 to 80, BTW, is not slow and agonizing; the car's a little rocket in that range.

Handling, on the whole, is quite "neutral", which, to me, is a good thing for a car this size.

If you inflate the tires to near 40 or over, you'll pay the price in the repeated sounds of concrete dividers, if 95 or the Beltway are constructed with them. I know on I-10 through Louisiana those divider sounds would drive me nuts---but that was in the 80's!

Radio reception = A, cupholders B+. Can't help with Bluetooth or Nav.

Suggest that on a test drive you find the noisiest road you can---and a hill to accelerate up.

17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a 2005.

I don't have NAV and don't miss it. If I wanted it, I'd get an aftermarket like a TomTom.

If I were buying today, I'd opt for the standard and then immediately put on a BT stiffening plate. *I* think it improves the ride just fine.

I think the cupholders are fine too. I use one for storage. I like how both of the front ones have "lids" to cover them.

Go for the VSC.

19. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I'll address the NAV questions, basing my answers on the 2006 (high-res) model, which AFAIK is identical to the 2007. :)

First, it is only a "2D" view, it does not have the "horizon" 3D view that many portables have. However, you also have a large 7" - likely larger that any portable unit you will see out there short of a full notebook! There is also an array of Map views, including a "Dual Map" that allows you to see the map at two zoom levels side by side and heading-direction.

It does have a Night Mode. On my Canadian model (which come with Auto headlights), the map automatically switches Day/Night based on outdoor lighting. In fact it actually works in two stages; as the sun is setting the headlights come on, then ~ 15 minutes later when it gets a bit darker the MFD & cluster switch to night mode. No problems here, though I will let someone else confirm if US models work the same, since Auto lights are not available there.

It does auto-recalculation, though this is an option that can be turned off if you so choose. (?)

The Prius NAV does have Voice Recognition, which has mixed results, depending on ambient noise and how clearly you speak. Personally, it works very well for me. You can store your Home address and up to 5 "Quick Access" memory points that can be recalled by voice. All other memory points must be selected on screen, when stopped. You can also set a complete address destination by voice while in motion by giving the "Address" voice command.

In terms of basic comparison, the advantages of the Prius Nav over portable is that you have a bigger screen, voice recognition, "cleaner" look, less risk of theft and less hassles with setting up/taking down. Also, the full value of Nav should not be considered "lost" as it also helps with resale value down the road so some would be re-couped, particularly if you only plan to keep the car short term. One potential negative aspect to be aware of that many people complain about is that you cannot access many on-screen functions while in motion except by voice command. Also, the Nav package usually comes with the Backup camera as well (at least in Canada it does), so that is another gadget too. B)

For the portables; first, most are far less expensive. You have the versatility of bringing it from one car to another, they typically are more feature-rich than OEM, and have less-expensive mapping updates.

Both solutions are good - it just depends on your priorities...

Good luck!

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iMichael.org @ Jan 3 2007, 11:31 AM) [snapback]370229[/snapback]</div>