1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying an 08 with 102k on the clock - 2 questions

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by adriennepratt, Aug 17, 2013.

1. adriennepratt

adriennepratt Junior Member

Hi there, I need to make a decision urgently (today/tomorrow) on an 08 at a local dealer with 102k on the clock. It's in really nice cosmetic shape. They've come down to $11750, which to me seems high but all the Prius's round here (Bellingham, WA) are high, no private sales available, and it's around Edmunds value, so I guess it's okay.

Here's some questions for you experts:

1) Definitely need to get it checked by a Prius-trained mechanic? I'm kinda in a hurry and this is a good, reputable Toyota dealership, but I'm not in that much of a hurry that I want a lemon on my hands obviously. And the service history doesn't seem great - nothing but an ABS repair back '11 listed on Toyota owners website.
    2) Is it worth getting an extended warranty on this vehicle? It was first bought in California (in WA now) so I guess it has the 150k hybrid warranty though I will be asking the dealer to confirm that in writing. It recently was auctioned in Nevada - don't think that invalidates the California warranty, does it?

Really appreciate your quick advice on this one!

Thanks a lot.....

2. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is it a Certified vehicle by Toyota?

Have you run the CarFax?

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If it was ever registered in WA or NV, it no longer has the CA warranty.
    http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-08PriusWI/pdf/2008_Prius_OWI_lr.pdf
    (Page 9 of the PDF, page 7 of the manual)
    (I would never get an extended warranty, they always do not cover your particular failure, I think because they cover nothing)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    100k is a lot to start with, how many miles do you plan on putting on it?

5. adriennepratt

adriennepratt Junior Member

Hi there, thanks for your answers. Jimbo, I think you have made up my mind - I was really kind of counting on the 150k warranty for this one and the dealer has confirmed that there is no warranty on it now. I think I'm going to go for one down in Everett that has 65k on the clock, and a religiously complete service history. It's costing me, of course - $15,750 on a 2010 base model - but I feel more comfortable with this kind of mileage with a bit of manufacturer's warranty left on it.

Issue now is getting this vehicle without having it checked out with an independent mechanic. For transport reasons I kinda want to take it home with me tomorrow - yup, that's a Sunday. Would I be crazy? I'm thinking that the complete service history protects me - Carfax also shows the dealer just replaced the battery (presumably the non-hybrid one), serviced the other one, and other obvious maintenance....

Think I can trust this Prius?