1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying my 2nd Prius -- How good are the different packages?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gordonrands, Mar 4, 2005.

1. gordonrands

gordonrands Junior Member

We just got the word that our 2001 Prius has been totaled. While we had hoped it would last until Toyota introduced a hybrid Sienna, that didn't happen. With 181,500 miles on it, I can't complain too much.

Anyway, I've located some unsold Priuses in the nearby area, with packages 1, 4 and 6 on them. I would be interested in your feedback on how worthwhile these different packages are. At the moment we are vacilating between 1 and 4. What's your advice?

2. kidtwist

kidtwist New Member

Re: Buying my 2nd Prius -- How good are the different packag

Package number 4 has the SmartKey (SKS) which a lot of people really love.

Excuse my nosiness, but I'm curious as to what happened to your 2001. You say you got word that it was totaled. You mean someone else had it and it was in an accident?

Or do you mean that it just conked out and the shop told you it'd be to expensive to fix?

3. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Go package 4. The HID lights are nothing special but the smart key system is worth it weight in gold. I love it. No fumbling for keys. I just have the transponder in my pocket with my other keys.

4. Drifter

Drifter Member

Go for the package 4. The more safety features the better, and you never have to dig for your keys. I would have taken almost any package with the side air bags but now I'm thrilled with my package 4 and don't know what I'd do without it.

Drifter

5. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

I own a package 4 - the SKS is great, but I have found over the winter that the stabilty control is very nice. My wife just got a package 6 - which is also very nice, but we got her that one because she is a realtor and the navigation system can be very useful to her. But IMHO, package 4 is very well equipped without going "overboard".

6. pdxprius

pdxprius New Member

I also have package #4 "the safety package" and would definately recommend it if you aren't interested in having all the bells and whistles. I really love all the safety features of this package, which were way more important to me than nav or alarm, etc... We use our prius to mainly drive around town, and since I have practically lived in this town my whole life, I really didn't see a need for a nav system, it's already built in my head. :) The 6 disc changer was really the only thing I would want in package 6 that I don't get in 4. The only misgiving I have with package 4 is the foglights.. don't even barely notice them when they are on.

7. gordonrands

gordonrands Junior Member

I mean that my daughter had an accident on Saturday, and that we got the word today that they had decided to total it rather than repair it. We are getting more out of it like this than a dealer would give us as a trade in prior to the accident. And no, my daughter didn't do it for that reason, even though she has been telling us we need to get a 2005 for a long time!

8. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

Didn't you tell her to keep her eyes peeled when driving? :mrgreen: