1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying My First Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Jim Christy, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Jim Christy

Jim Christy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hey All,
    My wife and I are looking to buy a Prius. My mom has one and loves it, have driven it a bit. We can't afford a new one, currently looking at a 2007 model with 55K miles on it. Basic package with rear camera and backup sensors. They were asking 13K and we've settled on 11,700. (KBB says Excellent is 11,800). Seemed in very good shape and well maintained. I'm taking it to my mechanic to check it out (not certified Prius but has worked wiht them).

Anything I should know about this model or other thoughts before I buy? Any input much appreciated. The listing below if anyone cares to check it. Best,

jim

JMD likes this.
  2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    It should still carry the remainder of the original power train and hybrid system warranties, although the power train portion is close to running out. In any case, drink the Koolaid and enjoy.

3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They are great cars just baby them and you will get many years of worry free motoring

4. Leslieinla

Leslieinla New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love my prius. I purchased an older model through carmax last month. 2006 with only 36k miles. So far, I absolutely adore my vehicle. You cant go wrong with buying a prius in addition to saving soooo much money in gas.

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Baby it heck. Just drive the darn thing. It is a car you buy for utility and a darn reliable one at that. Son has had a hatchback for years, I a v. No issues.

6. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with just driving it and do regular maintenance. Most regulars here would advise to get the transaxle fluid ATF changed at 60,000 miles, or change it yourself if you're a do-it-yourselfer. No more difficult than an oil change on Gen II Prius.
    I've got a 2007 with 130,000 miles and would buy another Prius in a hearbeat if I needed one. lol. Looking to go 250,000 miles with this one. A good percentage of cars I've seen on this site that had hybrid battery issues were more from lack of use than overuse.

I do recommend registering with the Toyota owners website. With the VIN you can see at least all the Toyota maintenance that has been done. Also very valuable-whether there is any outstanding Warranty work you can get done; Limited Service Campaigns (more freebees), or Technical Service Bulletins (T-SBs) (more freebees).