1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying new battery in Hawaii/ Core Credit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hawaii808, Apr 15, 2013.

1. hawaii808

hawaii808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2006 Prius
    120,000 miles

Hello!
    Does anyone live in Hawaii and had to replace their HV battery? I'm just wondering how much you had to pay. I was quoted $3650 for the battery alone (new), it seems a bit high to me but I know that shipping a battery to Hawaii cost extra $$$. I took my Prius to my regular auto mechanic who told me that the whole battery needs to be replaced, he said that because of shipping restrictions to Hawaii it would be hard to have a battery shipped over. He called the local Toyota dealership and they said they have 7 prius batteries in stock and the price would be $3650. I called another mechanic who specializes in hybrids, he told me he would like to run a dianostic test first, to see if the whole battery would need to be replaced or just certain "cells". The diagnositc test alone would be $400-$475. I know it would be cheaper to have only certain cells replaced but I would rather just put in a new battery. Also, I've been reading on certain forums that there is something called a "CORE CREDIT" where Toyota gives back a certin amount of $ for the old prius battery to be recycled. When I asked the first auto mechanic about this he didnt know anything about it.

Comments and advice from anyone that lives in Hawaii and had to deal with this would be much appreciated or anyone in general that has advice would also be much appreciated! Thank you!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe that the core credit is available only to Toyota dealerships.