1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying new cross-states

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jmann, Jun 2, 2006.

1. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, When buying from another state:

How does sales tax work? What rate is paid? I would expect like all physical purchased that are from a physical store, the tax is paid at the same rate as eveything in that store. ("When in Rome, you pay the roman tax rate"...maybe) But then everyone would go to oregon to buy a car.

What about tags & title? Is it possible to come with my own before the car is officially purchased an titled?

In my case, I live in Ohio and am shopping in Maryland (at the moment).

What else about buying out of state am I missing?

2. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

It's not complicated. You pay the sales tax in your home state/county, when you also register it there (no, can't buy plates ahead of time). The dealer where you buy will tape a temporary "registration" (I think they're generally for 30 days) to the inside of your windshield. You should get the VIN from the dealer before you go to get the car, and call your insurance company with it so it's insured.

I think this is pretty standard. If it's very different in some other state (or someone's experience), please post.

3. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I guess it can't be extremly complicated, but most dealers act like it is at least slightly complicated and avoid it.

But doesn't the car's first title need to be issued for my home state to avoid me having to transfer it when i go to register it here?

"You should get the VIN from the dealer before you go to get the car, and call your insurance company with it so it's insured." of course that is easier than calling from the parking lot. :D

4. Subversive

Subversive New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Jun 2 2006, 12:57 AM) [snapback]264514[/snapback]</div>
    Yours was my experience too, buying in Virginia and living in Massachusetts, with the single exception of finding out after the fact that Massachusetts does not recognized temporrary plates, so depending upon the temperment of a passing police officer, my car could have been seized. But I had no problems.

I will add one more note, though. In Massachusetts, the thing to do if doing a trade-in, would be to transfer the plates from the old car onto the new car.

In any case, talk to your insurance company in advance, as they can probably help.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmann @ Jun 2 2006, 02:06 AM) [snapback]264530[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. The car will start out will start out with no title, just some various temporary forms. Then you will get a Certificate of Origin. Then you go to your insurance company, and they give you a form that you will take to your Registry, pay the taxes, register the vehicle, and eventually you get a title.