1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

buying our first prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by combest, May 27, 2008.

1. combest

combest Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Our present car is a 2007 Camry. We seriously considered a Prius when we bought the Camry, but just couldn't make the leap. This is our second Camry. We loved the first, but don't care for this one. The biggest problem is the drive-by-wire. It just doesn't work correctly and although the dealer has downloaded a fix twice, it returns to previous pattern pretty quickly. Does the Prius suffer from the same problem with the drive-by-wire? Also, is the Touring Prius worth the extra cost? We drove a Prius at the same time we test drove the Camry, but none of the dealers in our area have the Prius now that we are ready to buy one. We can order one, but would like some information on the difference between the Touring and the base Prius. The salesman at our local Toyota dealer don't seem to know anything about the cars. Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Before anyone can answer your question, you are going to have to tell us about your drive-by-wire problem. As far as I know, the Prius has no problems with it's drive by wire system.

There is no set answer to whether you should buy a standard Prius or Touring. They are both great cars, with slightly different suspension, wheels, and tires. It's completely a matter of personal preference.

Tom

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The touring has bigger wheels and a stiffer suspension. Some people love it. Some people (me) think that they get most of the same benefits by putting a little more air in the tires of a standard for about $1000 less.

These days it may be the case that you can get certain options only in a touring; it's a way of making you pay more.

What about drive-by-wire do you not like? The Prius is drive-by-wire, but it almost certainly doesn't feel the same as a Camry, nor like a Cadillac nor a sports car. If you have any question I'd hold off on buying one until you can test drive one. Some rental companies have them.

4. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know what they're talking about with the Camry issues. When you step on the gas, it takes a second or 2 for the car to respond and go. For example, merging onto a freeway can be scary when the car doesnt respond right away. Dealer did the TSB on it but it doesnt seem that much different.

The Prius i'm happy to say, does not have this problem

5. combest

combest Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks to all for the responses. Yes, sdtundra, we got the fix twice, which seemed to alleviate the problem temporarily, but the Camry seemed to re-learn its bad habits over time. It took a few visits before we even found someone at the dealer that knew about the TSB.

Also, our previous Camry (a '94 model) was a 6-cylinder. The combination of the move to a 4-cylinder and the drive-by-wire issue has made our present Camry a less-than-ideal experience.

As to the Prius Touring model, we've been kind of leaning away from that, and your posts seem to support that, more or less.

We have tried to rent a Prius, but none have been available in our area for quite a while.

6. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

My wife and I got a '07 Touring version and are VERY happy with it.

We test drove the standard Prius and wondered if the shocks were worn out as it leaned a lot more. We didn't like it and we do not race around. I'm 47 and she's ... well she's been 29 for awhile now.

7. Testm0nkey

Testm0nkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I haven't ordered mine yet (hopefully by the end of next week the order will have already been placed!) but the salesman I've been working with straight up told me he felt there was little difference between the Touring and base model and that I might as well save the $1,500 and go with the base. I really appreciated his input.

I only test drove a base, but for the kind of driving I do in the region I live in (all concrete well maintained roads and not a bunch of twists and curves) the base model drove like how i expected a car to drive. I do not think I would be able to pick up on any subtle differences between the two.

I am selling my 2004 Mustang GT (quite a big difference from a Prius!) and with the money I'm going to put it down for my new car. Driving that Mustang the past 4 years I would be CRAVING a ride with a little sway and "floatiness" to it!