1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying out of state

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by rookie, Apr 24, 2005.

1. rookie

rookie New Member

Hmmm.. I thought this would be FAQ or something seeing that a lot of you did this but could not find it so:

How does it work to buy out of state?

I am driving to NM from TX in a week for 5 day vacation... I was thinking dropping by NM stealerships in my way and what do you know - I just might drive a Prius home rather than wait here in DFW?? Seems like NM dealers have cars on the lot ready to go.

I plan to get pre-approved before going but - did out-of-state financing work for you guys or did you need to get the local dealership to finance you?

Where do you pay the sales tax? I'd like to do it in TX of course... so I can write it off :)

Any other tips or perculiar gotchas? Thanks!

2. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    >>>How does it work to buy out of state?

Worked fine for me. I live in Michigan and bought a 2004 in Sacramento, CA.

>>>I plan to get pre-approved before going but
    >>>did you need to get the local dealership to finance you?

I paid cash 'cause I got that kinda dough.

>>>Where do you pay the sales tax?

You pay tax where you buy it and if your state has an agreement with the other state, when you register the car in your home state, they will rebill the state where you paid the tax. You either make up or lose the difference in $ if the rate is not the same.

>>>Any other tips or perculiar gotchas?

Good Luck. Your finance situation will cause some trouble unless you deal with your local bank/credit union prior to going.

I'd call around before you leave because I doubt that you'll find a Prius sitting on a lot at MSRP (or less) in any state other than California.

3. popoff

popoff New Member

I'm a NC resident and bought mine for less than MSRP in VA. It was in stock and I drove it home.

The dealer gave me a 30 day tag. I had to pay state tax in NC at the time I registered it.

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Worked fine for me too. I live in Pa. and bought in West Va. Dealer got me financed in 2 seconds just like normal set me up with temp. plates. You pay your sales tax yourself when you get home and get your home state plates. no fuss no muss.

5. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The taxes will be paid to the state of Texas by the dealership. The dealership will charge you for this and take care of all the paperwork, including getting it registered in your home county. Easy as pie.

6. Rowan

Rowan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    rookie,

I was up at Jim McNatt Toyota (just north of the Toyota of Lewisville) this past Sunday and they have something close to what you are looking for.

I wrote down some of the info on the sticker (this is the only dealer that I have been to so far that has the sticker still in the window)

05 Salsa 20,875
    AI #5 2190
    Delivery 585
    A0 (Extra Mile Option) 837
    P4 Shield package 349
    L2 Leather Interior upgrade 1049

Total: 25,925

I know it is not the #3 package that you were looking for but it is close and they have it on the lot.

I to am in the market and once I find the right model (White, #6, Leather upgrade) I am going to buy one. Since I am in Carrollton if you run across one please let me know.

When you were dealing with the Lewisville place did you deal directly with Travis (lastname?)?

Rowan

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I live in NC but I'm a WI resident. I bought mine here in Durham and paid no NC taxes, just WI taxes along with the registration forms.

If you finance through Toyota Financial there will be no financing trouble. The local dealerships usually do not finance their vehicles, they don't have the time of resources for it.

Make sure the dealership gets you the official "we sold you the car" paperwork in a reasonable amount of time, it slows down your registration if you have to wait for that little sheet of paper.

Otherwise we had no trouble at all.

8. rookie

rookie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rowan\";p=\"84291)</div>
    Thanks Rowan! Will look into it!

I saw a super white on the lot of the Toyota in Grapewine this past weekend. Did not stop to see exactly what it was loaded with but the list was long so I am assuming it was Package #6 but could be wrong.

On Toyota of Lewisville - I spoke to 4-5 people (as they were calling me for 3 days during which the price was going down :) ) - Travis was the last guy that I spoke to. He was a Sales Manager of some sort (so he said) and I did not pay attention to last name, sorry. He was very cool on the horn though.

Also - thank you everyone for your comments. I called a dealer in NM today (Santa Fe) who is telling me that he can get me a #4 package Salsa Red in 6 weeks tops and ship it to my door, and then take the trade-in away on the same truck :) We'll see but that is tempting as heck.