1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying Soon, Last Minute Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ESanders2, Apr 3, 2007.

1. ESanders2

ESanders2 New Member

Okay, it looks like I'm finally going to take the leap of faith soon and buy a Prius (next month, that is). I've been trying to talk my wife into buying a Mazdaspeed 3, but, being more sensible than I am financially and environmentally, she says "no." (The Mazdaspeed is the turbocharged version of the regular 3; it makes 260 hp and 280 lb-feet of torque :) but it only averages about 20 mpg and takes premium gas).

So the Prius is my second choice and my wife's first choice. I've combed through the various options of enthusiast cars (Speed 3, Volkswagon GTI, Subaru WRX, etc) but none of them have very good gas mileage and I live in California where we are approaching $4.00 per gallon now. At any rate, I'm still looking forward to the Prius and I can always drive my turbocharged Eclipse around for kicks.

The only question now is how do we special order the color combination and package of our choice. The dealers don't seem to have exactly what we want. Have any of you guys done this? Does it take a long time? I can wait up to 6 weeks.

2. freke70

freke70 Salesman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You should be able to get the exact Prius you want in under a month. They're pumping them out at a much higher volume than they did in earlier years. You probably already know this, but, go for the Touring edition.

3. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Different regions have different availability of packages. When I bought my 2004, I went to Northern California to get it, because I wanted stability control without having to buy a fully loaded model. Go to http://buyatoyota.com/zipCodeEntry.aspx and try to build a Prius in your zip code. If you don't like the option packages available, try other cities that you're willing to travel to. Good luck!

4. ESanders2

ESanders2 New Member

Yeah everyone seems to like the Touring Package. Is it the suspension, or the HIDs and wheels?

I'm thinking about getting a package2 Touring. I would like to get the JBL system but a lot of people don't think it's that great.

Yeah everyone seems to like the Touring Package. Is it the suspension, or the HIDs and wheels?

I'm thinking about getting a package2 Touring. I would like to get the JBL system but a lot of people don't think it's that great.

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Hi SandMan

I have the '07 Touring Edition Package 6, and after 2+ years in my '04, I am quite pleased with the '07 Touring. The suspension is a bit firmer, leans less in turns, the 16" wheels with Bridgestone Turanza tires both look better and provide a larger 'footprint' on the pavement producing better traction at a slight loss of MPG. Insofar as the JBL sound, it's adequate for me - I'm not a dedicated audiophile. One tip if you get the JBL system, disconnect the center speaker for better stereo seperation and set the system to reduce mid-range a bit and emphasize lower and upper ranges... helps a little. The HID's are somewhat better than the Halogens, particularly in the peripheries, like lighting the curbs and highway 'side stripes' better. My only reservation on the HID's is the reported >$200 for one replacement bulb.

I'm not sure about the CA area distributer, but in TX we are able to log on to Toyota.com and access individual dealers' inventories to determine which one has the Prius we want. Texas dealers are good about 'swapping out' with another dealer to provide a Prius to specification. If that works in CA, you might be able to find what you want without delay.

Good luck finding the Prius you want. B)

6. malibucarl

malibucarl Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I suggest you email the dealers in your area and also include Sacramento.
    First go to Edmunds.com. to find the invoice price of the car you want. Then email the dealers with an offer to buy at that (Edmunds) price.
    Worked for us twice in February. You MAY be able to beat that now, IF they have what you want.
    If you "special order" it may be more difficult price wise.
    Rickey Hirose on PriusOnline.com is in your area. He seems very knowledgeable.
    Good Luck,
    Carl

7. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malibucarl @ Apr 3 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]417138[/snapback]</div>
    Dealers in Sacramento would be all over you if you offered invoice. They are still going for below invoice around these here parts.

8. ESanders2

ESanders2 New Member

That's good to know they are going below invoice. I've had two local dealers offer me 2500 off MSRP on any package I want. I think that may be below invoice, right? I'll have to go onto Edmunds and check.

9. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I still recommend you drive both a regular and a touring prius. What works for one, does not work for another. Might turn out that u dont like the touring...who knows?

10. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nark @ Apr 4 2007, 12:33 AM) [snapback]417504[/snapback]</div>
    You might also find out that Touring versions are apparently difficult to come by in CA.