1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying & towing with a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PGR, Nov 29, 2005.

1. PGR

PGR New Member

Hello all, newbie here and some help would be appreciated if you don't mind!

I am considering giving back my 2.0td Avensis and getting the company to buy a Prius instead, as it is much cheaper to run and does not attract the wretched London congestion charge, let alone produce 93% less emmissions! I do a lot of town driving, and motorway cruising plus I have an active family and will need a roof rack.

The question is though, will it tow a small folding caravan (lightweight, but add the kids, roof racks, bikes kayaks & holiday paraphernalia and it is about 1200 hundred weight)? Are they as good as they seem, and is there something I need to look out for?

Actually, I'll let you in to a secret, what I really really want is a Land Rover Defender LWB Safari, but have you ever tried to park one of those in London?

Thanks for any feedback.

Paul

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Paul...

The Prius Owner's Manual (2004 - page 235) reads in part: "Toyota does not recommend towing a trailer with your Toyota. It is not designed for trailer towing." I recall a posting awhile back regarding towing a small trailer. You might want to search PriusChat on the keyword "towing" for information.

Another helpful resource would be John's "second party" Manual on his site:

http://john1701a.com

You will see his authored "Owner's Manual" toward the bottom of the first screen which you can download and study. It is, in many respects, more helpful than the official Owner's Manual. John has a great deal of helpful information on his site.

OT: PS: I have a reproduction of a piece of slate from the Wells Cathedral Museum engraved with the 15th century "Kyrie" music - a part of the "Mass XII." The original piece of slate was found on the site of the Manor House of the Deans of Wells near Wedmore. We acquired this souvenier on a visit to Wells about 20 years back.

3. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Vehicle load weight capacity of about 600# will limit your towing as well.