1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying Used 06 Prius - Advise needed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by zuhamit, Jun 10, 2009.

1. zuhamit

zuhamit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello to all!
    I am pleased to join this great forum. I feel lucky that Prius has this extremely informative website.

I finally got rid of my 2007 Honda Pilot and was in a search of used Gen II Prius lately.
    So my pick was 06 Barcelona Red #8 with HOV Stickers, Leather, Bluetooth,Navi etc. Mileage~33500. I am in the process of transferring the title, and hopefully I will own it on 06/12/09. Price is $15000. Title is clean, female owned. Cosmetically it is a lil' challenged: There are few scratches on the door (2-5 inches in length), small dent on left door and cracked front bumper's lower part.
    I am not worried as much about scratches/dings as of cracked bumper. According to owner, she rode over a tire on freeway. So there are possibly some underbody damage.
    I did inspect the vehicle and test drove it. Ride is acceptable, but there is this hissing sound when I apply brakes. Looks like it is coming from electric engine? Owner says it's probably hybrid components charging the battery. Hissing is not noisy, subtle.
    So here are the questions:
    1. Is hissing sound is something abnormal?
    2. I am planning to inspect the car , but I cannot decide whether I should take to Toyota dealership for "Buyer's Inspection~100-125$ or to independent mechanic. The vehicle is still under 3/36 factory warranty until August 18th. Consider me paranoid, but I am thinking that Toyota might deliberately conceal the fact of some malfunctions which might be coverable by warranty. I've had unfortunate experience with Honda, whenever I would take my prior car for repairs. On another hand, I can't find any independent hybrid mechanic in Los Angeles.
    3. IS there any "Used Prius Checklist" besides "Prius Pick Up Checklist" available at vfaq.net?

Thanks to everyone.

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Find out if the HID headlights have been replaced. They have been notoriously bad on the '06 and are very expensive if you have to replace the bulbs and/or controllers.

3. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it's more like a whirring sound that happens sometimes when you push the brakes even when sitting still... it's probably the brake accumulator pump. The braking system is complicated what with no constant engine vacuum and regen. It uses a pressure system that needs topping up with a pump. Not sure i would call it a hiss, though. If you're concerned about the braking system I would get toyota to inspect, not someone else unfamiliar w priuses... the brakes are unique.

4. zuhamit

zuhamit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for responses,
    English is not my primary language, so probably hiss is not an exact description. Maybe buzz? It is low pitch, "electronic device" resembling sound.

5. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Keep in mind that the friction brakes are only used in emergency stop (hard braking) and below 8 mph. Normal braking above 7 mph is done by the resistance of the MGs as they regen to the battery. The "brakes" are spinning the MGs through the PSD. That might explain what you hear.

6. zuhamit

zuhamit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bingo, that what I thought, indeed sounds appears only on non-complete braking.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, you are hearing the whine of the electronics as they send energy back to the battery.

Absolutely have a certified Prius technician check over the car. Most of them are at Toyota dealers, and Toyota has proprietary diagnostic equipment which few independents have. So many things could be wrong with any modern car after even moderate damage, it's scary.