1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying used 2004-2006 smart key

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ron69424, Mar 1, 2007.

1. ron69424

ron69424 New Member

I bought a used 2005 Prius with only one smart key. Trying to save a few bucks I purchased two used smart keys and the programming instructions on Ebay. I tried many times to program the keys myself using the instructions to no avail. So I took the keys to my toyota dealer in hopes that they could program them with their scan tool. They were unsuccessful also and to make a long story short I was basically told that the chances of sucessfully programing a previously programed key to another Prius was like winning the lottery. Anyone out there have a simular experience or words or wisdom, thanks.

2. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(73Captain @ Mar 1 2007, 10:17 PM) [snapback]398819[/snapback]</div>
    programing a used smart key has always been a confusing issue.
    If you read thru these posts you will see alot of others are sorry they tried.
    I wanted to get a extra remote and priced it from a dealer :
    $200.00 for the remote and you must make a appointment with the service department and they will charge
    you 30min labor ($50.00) tp program it . So $250.00 from the dealer for a new programed remote.

I read a post a while back that after programing a extra smart key the person could lock and unlock the doors by pressing the buttons in the remote and could start the prius when it was installed in the ignition hole, but it would't work as a smart key.

There is also a story that the smartkey remote was changed between 04 and 05 so you may have a older remote. The remotes look the same and I don't know how you can tell them apart.

also search posts on priusonline.com

here is a link to more info:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=2...=spare+smartkey

good luck, let us know your results.

3. ron69424

ron69424 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syncmaster @ Mar 2 2007, 08:10 AM) [snapback]398996[/snapback]</div>

4. ron69424

ron69424 New Member

I was able to purchase a brand new, never programed smart key on ebay for $100. My Toyota dealer programed the new key and cut the metal blank for $40. I got off pretty easy all said and done. Thanks for your advise and expertise. :)

5. jvida

jvida New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The "Key" difference between the remotes are: if it has a black Toyota Emblem on the back, it is NOT equipped with the "Smart Key" function. Only the one with the Silver Toyota Emblem on the back is equipped with the "Smart Key" function. So basically, if your car is not equipped with Smart Key, then you need the Black Emblem unit. If it is, then you need the Silver Emblem unit. Also, you'll need to bring ALL your keys to the dealership when doing the programming, not just your new ones. And they can program them basically all at once, so the price should be the same - about $45.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vidamin @ Mar 31 2007, 03:20 PM) [snapback]415570[/snapback]</div>
    Not any more. Bought a new smart key, and only had one fob with me. The 2 at home work just fine, still.