1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying Used, Cold Weather, and Baby Car Questions

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by mr_yellow, Sep 4, 2013.

1. mr_yellow

mr_yellow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Hey guys...

new member here and I'm the market for a new car in preperation for a new baby... =) The Prius has made the short list and I wanted to get some opinions from you veterans..

1) I'm thinking of buying used. Is there anything I should be looking out for in a 2010+ Prius? Are there any issues or new features that are worth paying the price for a new 2013 Prius or a Prius V?

2) I live in an area that has below 0C temperature winters. How does the Hybrid system perform in cold climates especially with a potentially <5km commute? From what I understand, EV mode will not work until it's higher than 0C. Is this true? How does the Prius handle snow (with winter tires)?

3) With a baby on the way, any gotchas when it comes to using the prius as a baby car? I would think the large liftback design allows for lots of cargo space and the rear seat space seems to be sufficient even for adults.

Just some background: This will be a second car with my wife as the primary driver to augment my current Manual WRX Wagon which I drive (wife can't drive stick). I'm kinda wary about buying another mid-sized wagon/hatch for the incoming baby but the mileage benefits and short distance EV mode seem to be worth the redundancy. I'm staying away from SUVs but would consider a minivan (I'm a long term planner type of guy).

Thanks for any advice!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! when you say short distance ev mode, do you mean a couple feet?

ya, that's pretty short for warm up. your mpg's will take a hit, but still be better than most cars.

watch out for interior squeaking in the 2010, especially in colder weather.

can't help with the baby, my kids grew up in a minivan.:p all the best!(y)

3. mr_yellow

mr_yellow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Technology

Thanks!

I mean my wife's commute after she goes back to work will esssentially be <5km a day. We live very close to the train station with local roads that won't exceed 40-60kph. I'm expecting most of that is drivable on EV mode.. I could be wrong here though...

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, you would need the plug in prius to do that. you couldn't get into ev mode until you reached the train station, and then, it will only do 1 or 2 km at best and slow speeds.

5. mr_yellow

mr_yellow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Technology

What is the top operational speed of the EV mode anyways? i've read 48 kph which seems to be fast enough to get to the train station on our local roads. But It seems like operating temperature would be the main limiting factor (especially in winter)?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's correct. there are several factors that involve the ice starting. if the ice is warmed up, and you don't have the heat on, and you live in flatlander country, and you don't press the pedal too hard, and you're starting with a full battery, you can make it about 2 km in ev. the car is not designed to drive ev, it's designed to store what would be wasted energy and use it appropriately for best mpg and emissions. the plug in is designed (somewhat) for ev operation, but is probably overkill for you.

7. mr_yellow

mr_yellow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks for the insight... this definitely changes my outlook on how gas efficient the prius is. =(

Is it safe to assume, gas mileage with the ICE will be on the low end of the spectrum with repeated <2.5km trips? Pretty much equivalent to any other small displacement mid-size car?

8. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I still think the Prius could be a good choice for you mr_yellow. Any ICE will have trouble with short trips like that, but the Prius is designed to handle it better than most, as it is expressly designed to turn off the ICE whenever possible.

The Plug-In would be even better, as she could probably do most of her driving on all electric. (In cold weather she may use some gas, as there is no heat, other than the heated seats, without the ICE) Toyota has aggressive incentives on the Plug-In lease right now if that's something you would consider.

We have 3 kids, and the PIP is the secondary vehicle for us. 2 car seats fit no problem, with the third being a possibility in a pinch. Lots of room in the Prius for kids especially when compared to most sedans. I would bet cargo room is not all that much less than your WRX.

9. mr_yellow

mr_yellow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Yeah I think I'm coming to that realization too. Even though the mileage will be worse for all the short trips , over all it'll still beat any other non-hybrid car by a long run.

As for the baby factor I'm actually pretty certain the prius will have more cargo room than my WRX Wagon. So I'm not too worried about stroller space etc... Unless someone here says otherwise.

Now is the hard part of justifying the cost over something like the Elantra.. :)

Anyone else here have advise on picking up a used prius? And known issues the 2010 would have that 2011+ wouldn't?

Thanks

10. I live in an area where it can get below -25C in the dead of winter. The Prius has to be able to work in cold temperatures. Just because it's a hybrid doesn't mean that you can't use it like a "regular car." I also asked a local Toyota dealer and they said pretty much the same thing. The key for using the hybrid as an electric car is that it has to be warmed up. Your fuel economy won't be super great in the winter, but the Prius is also very aerodynamic so that alone means you should get pretty decent fuel economy regardless of the weather.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't be concerned about EV. This is not an electric vehicle and the few times you will be able to use EV for the very short distance and slow speed it will be meaningless to you as far as any gas savings. It really doesn't even save you gas. EV should shouldn't even be in your thoughts about buying this car. Its fun to go a little distance in EV but I'm pretty sure your wife like mine will care less about it and more importantly she won't even want to learn.
    Only thing on her mind will be baby and please lord I hope I don't get stuck in the snow.

Your WRX is a snow plow compared to a Gen III Prius. That's a good snow car. A Prius not so much.
    Very low car. Aggressive vehicle skid control works against you in deep snow without excellent snow tires.

You didn't list where you live so no idea how snowy it gets but in your situation I would buy another good used Subaru. Save your money. You don't know what the baby's going to bring to spend it.

Good Luck.

12. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I live in NW Indiana, we regularly get large amounts of lake effect snow here and I feel that my 2010 with stock tires preforms very well in the snow. Def does not make me worry about driving in the snow with it.

The only gotcha with respect to the baby is that as you move up to larger car seats as they grow. My little guy is 2 1/2 and his car seat HAS to be on the passengers side or I can't put my seat in a comfortable driving poisition for myself where it wouldn't give his legs freedom. I'm only about 5'11-6ft so i'm not tall by any means. So because of this his seat is on the passenger side and if my wife ever has to drive it makes sitting in the passengers seat for me a bit tight for comfort. Thats about the only thing i can think of though with babies at least.

13. stephensprius

stephensprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

I have two little girls, one is 6 the other is two. Both seem to fit fine in back of my car. there is plenty of room in the hatch for a large cooler to take for picnics, scooters, changing pad, diapers, etc...

i wish it had a big more legroom and hip room in back for them as my 6 year old is wishing for a bit more room. i am considering a V next, just not sure that really has more space or not.

I live in MN. my wife drove this car last year through a pretty difficult and snowy MN winter. she said it was fine. so fine that she bought herself a 2013 prius as well. the cold weather affects MPG, but other than that, there really are no problems at all with start up. much of the winter, my prius was parked outside, in sub zero temps and tons of snow. started up each AM right when I pushed the button. it was never, ever a concern.

14. stephensprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    the new prius V has more cargo space. the rear seats also recline and shift further back, which would be a nice feature for me. just not sure it's worth the price of admission. i also prefer the V's more traditional layout up front on the dash. test drive both of them. i think they will ride and handle the same. they have the same engines.

15. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Is he still rear facing? I can't see how a forward facing seat would have any issue in this car.

16. stephensprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    both of my kids are forward facing in the rear seat. the car seats are so large that it pushes their legs pretty close to the seats. probably happens in most cars.

17. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow, they must be huge. Our Diono's look like they were built to fit these back seats.

[​IMG]

18. stephensprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    we have the britax pioneer- which is a 5 point harness booster. also britax marathon.

19. stephensprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    we have the britax marathon- which is a 5 point harness booster

20. stephensprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model: