1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying Used - Does Age or Milage Matter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Finner1, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Finner1

Finner1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I've been browsing for a while and the info on this forum has been very helpful in my decision to buy a Prius (I am upgrading from my trusty 2001 Yaris; my first car!), so thank you, firstly.

I still am a bit unsure on what to look for when buying used. I've found 2 cars at the same price, they both have pros and cons but due to the hybrid aspect I don't know which factors are most important.

Car 1: Jan 2006 reg, 33k miles, 12 months Toyota warranty (inc battery) included, 5 day no quibble refund policy, from a Toyota dealership.
    Car 2: July 2008 reg, 54k miles, private seller so no warranty (although should have 2 years left on the battery)/ no dealership backup etc.

It's basically a trade off between age and miles. In a Prius, which is more important?

I would ordinarily go for the lower milage car 1, but from the age/ miles it seems it's done lots of short city miles which I've heard can reduce battery life, and the 08 battery is obviously 2.5 years newer.... But then there's no backup if anything goes wrong.

(I am UK based, if that makes any difference at all!)
    Many thanks!
    Finner

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Some of us believe that age is a very important factor in battery life.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a tough call. most don't have any issues before 100- 150k. there's no helpful evidence in the lower mileage or newer vs older. my personal preference would be the '08, simply because we have one with 90,000 miles and zero issues. all the best!(y)

4. Finner1

Finner1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I must admit I am swaying towards the 08 for peace of mind, but the 06 has that 12 month warranty.....

I would love to hear others' opinions on this. There's not that much between them but having no experience of hybrid previously, I do worry about battery life.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you'll get more opinions when people come back from the weekend, keep the thread bumped up once in a while.

6. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Buy the '08. Have the car inspected before you do and make sure to check if it's ever been in a serious accident. How many pounds do they want for them, Finner1?

7. Finner1

Finner1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    £6k, but probably some wiggle room, especially on the 08 plate. (And actually I just test drove an identical 08 at a dealership for £8k)

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Both are low mileage, and battery degradation from heat is less of an issue in the UK. Unlike non-hybrids, and particularly in regards to the Prius, miles is less of a consideration than age.

I would pick the newer car and higher mileage if all else was equal besides the warranty.

I'm surprised the cars have depreciated so much.

#8 SageBrush, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  9. Finner1

Finner1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it may partly be due to the London congestion charge. The Prius used to be exempt from the £10+ per day fee but last year the lovely Mayor cottoned on to all the money they were losing due to everyone owning hybrids. Now it's only the super low emission models which are exempt so there's a bit of a flooded market as people trade up. I have to admit I didn't realise how cheap they were until it popped up in my search results.

10. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2008 (58 plate) Prius T Spirit cost me almost £8,000 exactly a year ago - and that included part exchanging my old 1998 MX-3 for £500 into the bargain. The T Spirit with its leather clad interior had 55k miles on it at the time of purchase, but did have a full service history.

Surprisingly, one year later, 2007 - 2009 Prii are still going for top dollar - especially if they're under 60k miles and top of the range. I've noticed that those with lower prices in the year group above normally have some anomalous history - or other problem mentioned. Generally, Prii keep their value well - which is a pleasant surprise. I suspect word is finally getting around about just how reliable and economically viable they really are and that's a big deal in the UK.

I'll confess that my initial choices included going for a Mercedes Benz or a BMW - just for the perceived prestige. But then I quickly realised I was still on a budget and needed a car that would keep running costs low, yet "wow" me with its looks, technology, reliability, and overall capabilities. I didn't need a badged car that would insidiously strip my bank account bare with unexpected repair bills.
    After 6 months of searching, studying specs on vehicles ranging from small compacts to big diesels, Toyota stood out. And while studiously investigating the Yaris and Auris series, I stumbled upon the Prius. Obviously, it all seemed too good to be true - but it turned out there was "no catch". The rest, as they say, is history.

I'd check that 2008 out very carefully. The price seems way too low for that year. I don't think a change in the Congestion Zone rules is responsible for that. I already knew that my Prius was no longer Congestion Zone exempt when I bought it. I did my homework before I bought it, and I'm happy to say my fuel bill is 33% of what it would have been with my MX-3 1.6i. I've done 10,000 very happy (exhilarating even) miles, since I bought my Prius. It's a lot more than an ordinary run of the mill car, a little less than a "Spaceship" :p
    There's a growing core of clever motorists who are increasingly seeing through the myriad myths surrounding the Prius, and investing in good used models with tremendous amounts of life left in them.

Good luck with your choice :)

iPad ? HD

11. Finner1

Finner1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the input - interesting point on the price. You have made me wonder whether spending a little more is the way to go, but 6k was my budget...

I test drove the 08 today, it was a T3 and the dealership model I drove at £8k was a T Spirit. I don't know if it was my imagination but it seemed to pull back a bit more than the T Spirit did. I don't know if that's normal for the model but it made me wonder. Also, I really want cruise control so that's that. Tomorrow I have to make a decision on the 06 (T4), still not sure if it's too old but going to see it and get a feel for it, whilst trying not to thump the patronising geezer of a salesman who insists on calling me "my lovely".

I looked at loads of other models too but I don't think the Prius can be beaten on size (boot space is the only reason I'm trading up; it's for work) whilst still maintaining a sensible mpg. I've actually had a friend slagging me off for buying a boring car and being a self righteous eco-warrior, so not everyone's attitudes are changing!!

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we've got plenty of slagger's over here as well.;)

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Quick question. What does "pull back" mean?

I'm not sure if this is a reference to acceleration, or steering or even rolling resistance to be honest.

14. Finner1

Finner1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Acceleration. When I lifted off the gas it felt like it wanted to immediately drop back (in speed) more than the other models I drove (reminded me of the disgusting MMT gearbox on the Auris), but as I said, it could have been my imagination... It just drew my attention a little.

As it goes, I purchased the 06 plate yesterday. It seemed a nice deal until we got it home and realised the brake discs were worn down to the point they'd fail an MOT (we even found a report in the docs from JANUARY that they were 75% worn through and should be replaced soon!!). Plus lies about when the service needed doing (July... Not Feb), exhaust rust, and a headlamp cover not sealed properly so that got nice and wet after it rained here etc etc...

Spent most of today shouting at various salesmen and managers; would you believe this is a genuine Toyota dealership?? Although it did give me the chance to bust that patronising, sexist salesman's balls over calling me darling/ love/my lovely/<insert some retro sexism here>.

Ended up demanding a refund. We thought if they've lied this much, what else are they hiding? Their sister garage has a T Spirit 07 for £6.5 (down from £7.5) which now I'm picking up on Monday, so ironically a compromise between my 06 and 08 plate decision.

So, not off to a smashing start on the Prius front...... I hope it gets better?!? :/

15. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok, so deceleration when you backed off. This is most likely either rolling resistance (tyres/tyre pressure) or accidentally driving in "B" mode instead of "D" mode. The "B" mode on the transmission is designed to regenerate much more strongly than in "D" mode and will cause it to decelerate very markedly when you back off.

Wow, you managed to get them to cancel the sale and refund! Crikey love :whistle:, that's nearly unheard of unless they have a legal obligation to give you some amount of "cooling off" period. Was that the case?

Have you driven the 07 yet?

16. Finner1

Finner1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It definitely wasn't in B mode. It was a very low price so imagination or not I didn't want to take the risk...

As much as I'd like to say it was down to my ace complaining skillz, there may have been a 5 day no quibble refund policy... The other garage (with the 07) was part of the same group so they've transferred my money over to them in payment for the 07. I've not driven it yet (if I don't like it I'll just get a refund), I was supposed to go down today but they've decided to get their service centre manager to personally give it an extra service before giving it to me... just to make sure :D:D:D I think they must have spoken to the other dealership's manager right after his 10 minute ear bashing.

I may be rubbish at haggling, but boy can I complain! :cool:

Data Daedalus likes this.
  17. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good luck with the 07 T Spirit. I'm appalled at what that dealership tried to push on you! That's quite disturbing.....!! Anyway, I'm glad you gave them verbal fleas in their lug holes - they deserved it. Here's hoping the 07 T Spirit will be the car for you ;)