1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying Used - Help?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by TJ89, Apr 5, 2015.

1. TJ89

TJ89 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster here! I'm in the process of buying a used Prius and had a few questions about pricing and features that I'm hoping you all will be able to help me with.

Here are the specs on the car:
    Certified 2012 Prius Four with Deluxe Solar Roof Package
    50K Miles
    Sea Glass Pearl outside
    Misty Gray inside

I went and test drove it and it seems to be in very good condition, both inside and out.

So here are my questions for you guys:
    1. They listed it at $19,948 plus taxes/tags/processing fees (OTD would've been $21,500) but I negotiated it down to $19,200 OTD. As a first time car buyer, that seems like an insane amount of money to pay for a used car with 50K miles BUT I have done my research and know that their original price is on par with most dealerships so my question to anyone who bought used (or new) is: is the car worth the high price and does this sound like a good deal in your experience?

2. Sea Glass Pearl... :\ Does it grow on you?

3. Does the Four have automatic on/off headlights? I know about the DRLs but I swear I read somewhere that the 2012 Fours and Fives had automatic headlights.

4. That annoying beeping noise when in reverse - can it be shut off? I also swear that I read it could be shut off by the dealership (might've been on PriusChat) but when I asked the guy at this dealership he said no. Having said that, he was just a salesman and I didn't get a chance to talk to the service/repair people since they'd already closed.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can give and thanks for bearing with me through that long post! :)

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Every buyer should read through Car Buying Guide for New and Used Vehicles | CarBuyingTips.com. You shopped around and if you consulted truecar.com and didn't find another Four-Solar at a lower price then that me be about the best you can do. What did you expect to pay for the car? It probably sold in the low 30's when it was new.

Ten years ago many Prius owners had to settle for whatever color & option package was on the car that was sitting on the lot that day. It was "buy this now or the next person in line will". Those days are gone. Some don't care about the color but you are the one that has to look at it every day. You may grow to like it or not care or you may not.

The headlights are auto off. If you leave them on and power down the car they will eventually turn off. That length of time can be adjusted.

The back up beep and the seat belt beep can't be turned off but they can be set to one beep. Speak with a Service Writer about making the changes. Any Toyota dealer should set them they way you want once for free as part of the prep of the car. If you are going to bring the car back every month to have something changed, well, that's a different story.

Make your changes a condition of the sale. If they can't accommodate you, walk.

Download the owner's manual from Toyota Owners Official Web Site: Service Coupons, Owner's Manuals, Service Scheduling And More.

You aren't going to find a car with lower maintenance and operating costs sitting on the lot and when gas prices increase so will the value of the used inventory.

3. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    THIS is the key to any successful negotiation; a willingness to walk away.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the "blue books":
    Kelly Blue book (KBB.com)
    Edmunds
    NADA

Get the specifics of the model/year/trim/extras and mileage and see what they say.
    You should NEVER consider paying more that what those sources list as a retail price........except maybe for tax & title.

Oh, and ask point blank if it has ever been wrecked or in a flood......and if it has any unresolved problems.
    All of the applicable recalls should be done.

And finally, tires. At 50K if they are OEM they probably are near bald.
    A really good new set might cost you $800.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how about a brand spankin' new prius II for 21k?

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're obviously buying a "newer" used vehicle. So you're paying more for it being relatively new, and having less than 60,000 miles on it.

You could consider paying a little more, and getting a brand new Prius Two. BUT...it won't have the solar roof and conceivably other niceties. I'd consider it, the choice is yours. Prius Two's are going for around 22,000-23,000...brand new. Prices may vary in your area.

I also really don't think there is a distinction between the solar roof package and a "deluxe" solar roof package. You either have the solar roof package as it comes from the factory or you don't. Just for fun, I'd ask what makes it "deluxe". Maybe it's dealers installed extra's? Maybe it's them throwing the word "deluxe" in just to make it sound better.

And as far as Sea Glass Pearl? This is subjective to me. But I bought Sea Glass Pearl on a day of purchase impulse. And to be honest? It hasn't grown on me. But I'd say if you don't like it today? You won't like it tomorrow.

The best I have been able to do, is that I'm OK with it. In the evening and at night, it looks kind of bluish gray, and I can accept it. During the bright daylight....it looks far too "Baby Blue" for my tastes.

I take grief from my Brother who reminds me constantly that I'm driving a "Baby Blue" Prius.

I usually don't purchase "gimick" colors...or what I call Ice Cream Shoppe colors. I usually go with classics. I like Black, I like Gray. If I had it to do over again? I don't think I'd get Sea Glass Pearl.
    PS.
    I have been stopped in numerous parking lots by women who seem to love the color. So if that's a benefit to you? Oddly, women seem to really like the color.

6. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Very beautiful color. Dirt and dust will not be as visible as on black or white.
    Not as hot in summer as black, or other dark colors, as well.

- Alex

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    "Deluxe Solar Roof Package" is the current name. Maybe the name was upgraded when the HD radio & entune were included. Up here a new 2015 Four-Solar can be had for $29043 + but that includes the Protection Package (mats, applique & door edge guards).

TJ, Twos & Threes are a dime a dozen as you have probably already figured out. I was able to find about a dozen Fours within 250 miles and I don't think they have the Solar option. Your $19200 OTD seems like a reasonable price. If the car's sound & it fits your needs and wants then buy it. If not, just keep looking and perhaps expand your search radius.

Make sure you get two working fobs.

8. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If not absolutely sure about the color, don't buy it! but seems like a nice car for a good price.

For me, blizzard pearl, then silver, red, grey, in that order.

9. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1. Based on the original cost of Prius four, it's not an insane amount of money. Seems alright. It is insane when you consider, a brand new 2015 Prius two can be had for the same money. (Unless you pay cash, new usually has better financing terms so therefore, same cost) Are the options worth it?
    2. I wanted Sea Glass Pearl or Blizzard White for my car but ended up with blue because there was a discount on blue.
    3. All models have auto on headlights when you start the car and auto off or delayed headlights when you shut the car off. Four/Five also has headlights that automatically turn on and off to ambient light.
    4. Ask dealer to change to one beep before you buy.

10. Dave14Prius

Dave14Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd go with a NEW Prius 2 for close to the same money . The dealer in Califorinia that post on this site has NEW for 19,999.

Fishcrab and Sergiospl like this.
  11. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I remember back when I was 23...well kinda :whistle:. I think what folks are trying to tell you is forget the toys and get a new base model. It's the same mechanics, same mileage, better financing rate, new-not someone else's left overs and you pick the color you want. The level 4 upgraded sound system is debatable, the solar pkg (sun roof and solar powered vent system) is an overprice option rarely actually used and you can have leather added for about $1,500 if you really want it...Dealer upgrade.

You really do better this way, but the decision is solely yours to make. Best wishes. ;)

12. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Along with the appropriate "emergency" keys and the owners manual.

13. Fishcrab

Fishcrab Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you like buying new , and money is not a issue for under 20k , I would go for new and pick the color you want. I'm more of a low budget , because I only owning car for about Two years, so I bought a 05 with 150k, runs great.

14. E. Dennis

E. Dennis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model X
    Model:
    N/A
    Try a NEW '14 Prius v .
    Here in CA, a '14 v three is now down to 22,400 or so with little negotiation. A little arm-wrestling with sales managers will get you an even better deal; particularly if you're a "cash" buyer (get your own loan, or get pre-qualified from your bank or credit union. In sum, you get the car and they receive a big check).

A NEW '14, with full warranty and zero miles.

Or.....15's here in CA are advertising 5k + off MSRP--easily negotiable into bigger savings.

So...why buy used (at about 20k, or so, for your example) when, for a couple grand more, you can buy a brand new car?

15. Fishcrab

Fishcrab Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I still like keeping in yor budget and buying new under 20k.
    I understand when you have only so much money, esp if your one of us 1% guys.

16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Beautiful color for a baby nursery.

alekska likes this.
  17. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe you need to define that.
    When discussion economics, that term usually applies to the TOP 1%........not the bottom. :)

18. Fishcrab

Fishcrab Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WOOPS !That's true easy rider, guess I feel like I have 1% of the money , say like I have 1 dollar , while the 1% have 1,000 dollars.

19. E. Dennis

E. Dennis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model X
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds good.
    Simply a humble suggestion on my part.
    One does what one must do.