1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying used Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bredekamp, Apr 21, 2007.

1. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a used 2005 Prius with 60,000km on the clock. I drove the car on the highway at speed. No noises, vibration etc. The car is stable and drives straight if I let go of the steering slightly. This is the first time I have driven a Prius that was thoroughly run in. All the others were brand new showroom demos. I'll tell you one thing it's very easy to go very fast in a Prius very quickly. I drive a BMW 318i 1999 model manual. I'm used to listening to the engine tone to get an idea of speed, but with a Prius the tone of the engine is steady. Your'e thinking..."Aw I'm not moving fast". Suddenly you look at the speedometer and "Oh Fu^%&in hell I'm doin 140km/h!" This explains why I always thought Prius were blurry. It's because they're always movin so bloody fast. :D

Anyways, the paint on the glove compartment button (bottom button) has worn off. How easy are they to replace, expensive?

Also some minor scratches on rear right door. Vehicle is dirty and needs a good clean. Also, how easy is it to clean the upholstery and what is the best way?

Is there anything else I should look out for? I'm planning of travelling to Johannesburg, which is about 1,450km from where I am in Cape Town. There's lotsa pre-owned Prii listed on dealers websites there.

Anyone else here travel to a distant dealer to get a good deal?

2. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

Well, my dad decided to get my '02 Prius with about 35,00 miles on it for about $15.5k from a private party. It had a few scratches on it, but the upholstery was clean. It's gotten a bit dirty since I've had it. No matter how many times I tell my girlfriend not to eat in the car I always give in, and she usually ends up spilling a bit. I'd be very interested to know how to clean it as well.

I'm not sure about the glove compartment button you are talking about, but I haven't heard of anyone replacing one before. I'd imagine it isn't too expensive, but it may be more than you want to spend on it.

Scratches weren't a big deal for me, and never are. I say unless it has dents and dings that it's ok. You can always paint a car, and to a color of your liking. I probably won't paint my car until I can either afford it, sell it, or both.

Just make sure that the person has taken good car of the car. In your case, has had the oil changed at proper intervals, tires rotated, tires in decent condition (if stock tires), and that they have the right amount of fluids in it. Only need to check the fluids because it they're low they've probably been that way for a while. I wouldn't think too many people would check the fluid levels before they sell a car, but I could be wrong.

Unless you are getting some unusually low mileage on the car it sounds pretty decent to me, but I don't know what price you are looking for, or have seen it for in the condition you mention.

3. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Albertus @ Apr 21 2007, 10:53 AM) [snapback]427317[/snapback]</div>
    Whenever I bought used if the car was very dirty inside you can almost bet it never was service regularly.
    Also if you can get the service records do.
    If it looks as you are getting it then there are always seatcovers if the stains do not come out.
    here we have a product called simple green works great on upholstery and carpet too.

good luck