1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buzz (my '06 #8)+Sportivo+Nor. CA coast=

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Pinto Girl, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, brace yourselves for a verbose post (or click onto a new topic)...

Warning:I'm going to REALLY indulge myself and post another, (even) more detailed appraisal in the 'modifications' forum, and shall do my best to use every automotive term with which I'm familiar.

This Wednesday past, my Friendly Toyota Dealer installed the Sportivo suspension pieces I'd ordered some weeks previously; I've been really eager to let Buzz off of her leash for just a little bit. And, since another poster here instructed me to go out and take her for a spin...well, let's just say that some advice is very easy to take.

The plan was to get up at oh-dark-hundred Sunday and head for the coast, specifically Highway 1 from Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz and breakfast at a favorite french bakery. FYI, Highway 1 is, for the most part a well-maintained two lane road with periodic passing areas. The speed limit varies from 45-55mph (and for the daring/reckless, significantly higher speeds tempt) and there are long series of sweeping curves with a lovely view of beaches, jagged cliffs, ethereal mist, and the swirling, turbulent Pacific (seemingly ill-named) below.

The morning dawned warm and still and the marine layer was well off the coast. And away we went! This was the first time I've really spent any significant time in her since she had her operation, so the stereo and MFD were off (the latter, as instructed) and I felt like all my senses were really accute.

I'm still processing the changes between stock and Sportivo, but overall, I really like how she feels now. Less body roll and the suspension seems like it's much more under control. I do miss the stock ride on smooth roads, but don't mind very much when I think about it as part of the overall package. I think it's still smooth enough were most of my friends won't notice the difference, and that's fine with me.

I found myself alone and doing 60-65 (or was it 80-85? It's so hard to tell sometimes when one is keeping one's eyes on the road and the early morning sun is glinting across the dash) and gradually enlarging the envelope. The only thing that comes to my mind is, is it wrong to love an automobile? 'Cause I think I do!

Buzz has only now passed 1,000 miles since new, and this was the first time that I rang down to the engine room for full steam ahead. I found myself pleasantly surprised -- not blown away, but pleasantly surprised -- and I think that was pretty much the theme for the day.

Every time I made a demand of her, she seemed to give just a little more than I'd have expected. It was really lovely and actually made me think of Blossom, my '73 Pinto which (egregious engineering oversights aside) has kind of a 'thrummy' and eager personality which I'm pleased to discover may lurk within the computerized, aerodynamically optimized, environmentally acceptable confines of my dear, dear Buzz.

Anyhow, the morning journey and b'fast were highlights, as was the unbelievably wonderful weather and time spent napping on the beach.

The return trip, however, emphasized how important it is to preserve the comfort that our Prii come with as standard equipment. Lots of afternoon traffic, the sun in my eyes, tired after a long day...and it was then that I realized that the Sportivo pieces aren't for everybody.

Actually, the specific moment was when I was pulling out of a driveway, making a right turn.

Unfortunately, the Sportivo lowers the front end of the car by about 1", which doesn't seem like that much, except for the rear is only lowered about 3/4" and so the car has a bit of a rake now, which brings the very front part of the nose that much lower.

I was trying to be careful not to scrape the front end by first turning the steering sharp left (to ease the approach over the driveway and onto the street), where I'd planned to immediately turn sharp right and be on my way. Thing was, this confused the people making a left into the driveway and I ended up going left instead and then, flustered, making an illegal u-turn.

I've driven lowered cars before and I was really gritting my teeth; this time felt like I was going to hit for sure...but I didn't. And that might be the biggest negative -- for some -- about this option. It makes the car look even more streamlined and handle significantly better (in my opinion), yes...but I think it does demand a bit of extra attention and will probably make your Prius a teensy bit more difficult to drive on a day to day basis (especially when you'd least expect it). Not only for you, but potentially for others, to whom you might lend your car.

Would I go back? No. But I am steeling myself for the upcoming years of little reminders of the tradeoffs one makes in the quest for something a little bit different.

And...ummmmmm...yes, I did save the stock pieces...just in case!
    [smile]

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Sep 18 2006, 02:28 PM) [snapback]321240[/snapback]</div>
    See, I told you Buzz Lightyear wasn't just a toy. To infinity, and beyond! :)

3. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Another happy customer.

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Sep 18 2006, 01:53 PM) [snapback]321251[/snapback]</div>
    Absolutely! And when I got back home I checked the mileage...46.8!