1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buzzer went off when opening driver's door

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Springtime, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Springtime

Springtime Member

I am not sure what I did or did not do, but, a few times the buzzer has gone off when I opened the driver's door to get into the car. It stopped when I got in and closed the door. At the moment it is not doing it.

I have a smart key which was in my purse. The car was in the garage when this happened so I don't recall if I had locked the car or not the night before -but I usually do lock it.

I always hit the park button, apply the parking brake and power off the car before I get out of the car and lock it.

I am thinking it might have something to do with me opening up the hatchback to get the groceries out of the car after I locked the driver's door. I am used to a regular car's hatchback automatically locking when I close it - but I think maybe I needed to press the lock button on the back hatch - which I did not do. Would this cause the buzzer to go off when I open the driver's door the next day?

Also, I know the ACC can be turned on by tapping the power button with your foot off the brake - but, can you accidently leave it in that mode - causing a buzzer to go off when you open the driver's door? For example, if you turn on the acc mode and then decide to power on the car with your foot on the brake, go for a drive and then Park, apply the brake and power off the car has that cancelled the ACC mode? Or, do you have to turn off the ACC mode with your foot off the brake before you start your car?

I am just trying to come up with what I did out of the ordinary that may have triggered this buzzer to sound when I opened the car door yesterday morning and then figure out what I did since then that fixed it.

Springtime

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    check the headlight switch
    _H*

3. Hallowday

Hallowday New Member

I had this happen twice over the weekend. I am not sure why yet.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My Prius has never "buzzed" so I'm puzzled by the "buzzer" sound. Can you describe it more clearly? One continuous sound? Beeps? If beeps, how many? Etc.

5. Springtime

Springtime Member

One continuous beep. Not sure for how long because as soon as I got in the car and close the door it stopped.

Springtime

6. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    First, you do not have to hit the park button if you are going to power down. The power down button automatically puts the car in park.

Second, when you open the hatchback you unlock the entire car and must relock with the black button, the black button on the hatchback will lock the entire car.

Third, if you do not get the hatchback completely closed the long beep will sound indicating an open door on reentry.

The accessory mode would be cancelled in the senario you describe.

7. Hallowday

Hallowday New Member

On both occasions, I was getting back into my car after it had been parked for a period of time and entering the driver's side using the smart key entry. It is a constant beep. On at least one occasion there were others getting in from the passenger side so they may have tried to open their door before I unlocked it. I do not remember if that was the case the first time it happened. Didn't think much about it but I will pay a little more attention to my future entries in case it happens again.

8. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the beep coming from inside or outside the car? I know that I got one lonnggg beep when my wife left her smart key inside the car, and I attempted to lock the doors. Are you tossing the pocketbook in ahead of opening the door perhaps? :blink:

9. JMcPhee

JMcPhee New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Here's one for you... where's the second Keyfob? could it be in the car?

10. Springtime

Springtime Member

Not sure if it is coming from inside or outside the car. Since this is when I am getting into the car and not when I am exiting the car the key fob is with me, not in the car. My other key fob is in the house in a metal container - so there was no key fob in the car when the continious beep started. It was triggered by me opening the driver's door.

I am beginning to think this might have had something to do with me locking the car the night before and then going around to the rear of the car and opening the hatchback to get my groceries. I did not lock the rear hatch - just closed it. I may try to duplicate the situation and see if I get the continious beep when I try to open the driver's door after I have closed the hatch, but not locked it.

Springtime

11. Hallowday

Hallowday New Member

This happened in WV and my second fob was in IN. The fob stays in my front pocket. I thought the beep was internal.

12. Springtime

Springtime Member

OK - I think I know what happened. If you start to open the driver's door by touching the handle, hesitate and grap the door handle again it triggers a constant beep that stops after you get in and close the door.

I guess the beep would not have sounded if I had waited 3 seconds before touching the handle again. It must have something to do with the smart key not having had time to reset itself.

Springtime