1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buzzing sound after shutting down

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jinseng, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Jinseng

Jinseng Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've seen a few other posts on here about various sounds, but this one hasn't been described yet...

About 30 seconds after I power off the car I hear a buzzing sound. It sounds like it's coming from under about the center of the car, but of course as I learned with my last issue it's hard to tell where a sound is coming from. And it lasts for about 1 minute 15 seconds.

If it had done this from the very beginning, I would have just assumed it was a normal Prius sound, but I don't remember hearing it at first, and only noticed it about a week ago (so I'd been driving the car for about 2-3 weeks before noticing the sound).

Just for reference, when I first open the driver's door after it's been sitting for a while, I hear a sound that's more of a vibrating pumping sound. I'm assuming that's the break system building pressure in preparation for driving. The sound I'm noticing now is different than that one.

Any thoughts or confirmations that other 2010 Prius are making this same noise?

Thanks.
    -Alex

2. asj2009

asj2009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Buzzing sound when you open the door is the brake accumulator pump. The buzzing sound after shutdown could be a pressure test of the fuel system, but I'm not sure. There are several such noises. With the Gen II Prius (not your 2010), a pump transfers hot coolant into a thermos after shutdown. That makes a whirring sound.

Tom