1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BV9976B review

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by steelrain, May 17, 2015.

1. steelrain

steelrain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    So with my stock head unit malfunctioning, the speakers would cut out about 80% of the time which was rather annoying (can upload video later) and out of warranty I found myself wanting to replace/upgrade. I'm posting this as I was on a budget (200 was my goal, came out just above it) and wanted to retain all feature I had in the stock unit, if not gain more, not lose them.

Boss products have been hit and miss for reviews, I haven't had any problems with my previous equipment from them so figured I'd take a chance, and I'm also sharing this experience in case anyone else finds themselves wanting to upgrade on a budget or have to replace due to their head unit going out, which myself nor any repair shop has figured out why it went but Toyota reminded me that I was now 7k over my warranty for anything apart from engine/drivetrain/hybrid so I'm just dealing with it.

I ended up with a Boss BV9976B after using their products in the past despite reputation, so far the last product I purchased has worked, among other speakers I've gotten.

In-Dash Single-DIN 7" Motorized Touchscreen Monitor Bluetooth DVD Player | BV9976B | Boss Audio Systems

So let's get the CONS out of the way first.

Hands free - works just as well as the stock unit as far as quality, and streaming. Being able to call from the lock screen (android 5.0 LG2) required lock smart, as well as initially unlocking each time entering the car. Stock unit just worked as far as calling from dash phone book. Also, unless I haven't found it yet, does not have a phone book feature. I generally don't call people while I'm driving unless it's one of the usual so no biggie, numbers are memorized.

Video compatibility - This was really aggravating. DVDs work fine, and SVCD if you use that, but USB video files were hell to get encoded properly. I had to search the net to find the video codec. Then it was trial and error for the audio codec for the video file. However I have now found the optimal settings using super encoder, the site was a little rough to navigate, not very pleasing to the eye but it works. Quality is actually pretty good considering. I am using XviD for video at 480x272 (aspect is 16:9) 29.97 frame rate bitrate is 1248 with the 4k audio selected, and AAC LC audio codec. This puts out a MP4 file that reads without error on the unit. This does result in a larger file then what I started with, a tv episode went from about 50 mb to an average of 140, but it works and usb hold a lot of space.

SWC - honestly, I think it's me not the unit as far as this goes, they work great minus the handsfree buttons, I'm contacting axxess and going to find out what I'm doing wrong.

PROS
    Video playback (not compatibility) - works great, clean with the settings I'm using and easy to navigate video menu as well as video controls

USB (front no back)- so far my videos and audio (which are standard MP3 for audio) have had no problems being picked up on my usb sticks. Currently, I'm keeping my audio on one and video on another, both PNY 16GB, will be testing a 64 GB when I return home in a week so I'll let you know if it reads it. The manufacture site doesn't really say and neither did the manual. Does seem to read at 2.0 speeds.

(front) Has an SD CARD Slot, have a 64 at home as well, do not have one with me here at the moment, will update later. If it reads my 64GB it's a class 10 and consistantly reads at speeds much faster than my usb 2.0 sticks here so will update, most likely would be better for the movies that way I don't have to bring it out of the car often as I update music much more frequently than I will be for movies.

Aux input - basic front aux port on front.

Screen - picks up button presses without a issue, as a touch screen and a 'cheaper' brand I was slightly worried but it's responsive and not a problem for me. The tinting for the illumination is very flexible, can hit just about any color. I've gotten it to match the rest of the vehicle but this is my preference. There are also three different wallpapers to choose from.

Radio - I like being able to have multiple presets, was something that I wanted to keep, and with the adapter from metra, the antenna picks up stations without a problem, and RDS works just fine.

Bluetooth Streaming - works as well as the stock unit, controls are pretty good as well, no problems there

Sound quality - This one is a big one for me, at 340 watt for speakers (not the amp outputs etc) I wasn't sure how it would sound compared to the stock unit, not that I knew what the stock unit is. With adding pioneers to the rear doors (as I have a C1, and had to do it on my own no less) they never really had any push and I thought they just were low end pioneers or under powered. Verdict is under powered, the sounds is cleaner, much more crisp and just louder if I want it to be. This is without the sub/amp as well.

RCA outputs - front and rear, they work but I'm not using amps, for door speakers as apart from the rear pioneers they are all stock including the tweeters.

Sub output - this one confused me, its a mono out. Not a big deal if you hook up to the left channel on an amp. Sadly I can't test as when the radio went, the amp went with it as far as inputs, the low line (speaker) hook up works but I already decided to send it out for repair (under warranty). Was using a line output converter off rear speakers but it's now been removed. But can't really review this right now due to no amp. Does display controls for amp output though so will update.

RCA input - yes it can take a video and audio source in, I do have an hdmi to rca output, tested with a pc, works fine for video, audio I used a basic rca adapter and worked without an issue.

There is also two VIDEO outputs in case I want to put in rear monitors later, anytime soon is unlikely but tested with a small tv and worked fine.

Rear Camera - Don't have one, so can't test. I may order one though now that I can have one.

So if the stock unit was a 5, and a 1 being terrible for a aftermarket and 10 being perfect, I'd give it a 8 for it's features and sound quality. And at a 127.99 through amazon, which boss has listed as a platinum dealer so you get 3 year warranty, six for their amps if you get one, I'm pretty happy.

If your on a budget and want a touchscreen, this is the way to go between the dash kit, the swc from axxess, the head unit it self and the radio/antenna adapter I spent 218 total. I already had solder and various tools (I don't much care for crimping) so I feel it's a good budget system. When my amp comes back I'll update.

Also, will be posting video, have a day time video of the system, want a night time as well for comparison. Also the day time had glare from windows.