1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BYD and City of Los Angeles make it official - BYD coming to Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I saw a segment on the ten o'clock news last night, and now there are numerous articles on the internet. BYD electric cars of China and the city of Los Angeles have agreed on tax breaks, and BYD will first be opening offices and BYD electric cars will be coming to Los Angeles.

A REDUCED TARIFF ???? WHAT???? SO THAT THE CHINESE CAN FLOOD THE US MARKET WITH CHEAP CARS THAT CANNIBALIZE US JOBS ???

I'm all for electric cars, 100%, BUT NOT THIS!!! Extrapolate it out 10-15 years, and 50% of the cars in the US will be "made in china"

Los Angeles Lures Chinese Auto Firm - WSJ.com

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Doesnt matter where they are made. If it is a superior product, then it should win. I was hoping they would bring their cars over to the states and am glad they are doing it.

If you want to protect jobs, build a better product. Maybe the reduced tarrif difference could be applied to the bagillions the US owes China...

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Competition is good but it doesn't sound like these electric cars will be build in the US.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I really don't understand the protectionist attitude some people have. Regardless, the tariff reduction is not federal, it's the tariff the city charges to help fund the city infrastructure. Just like an airport tax.

And yes, you will get a national sales office with -some- design influence and perhaps a testing station for crash worthiness.

Oh, and it's a little late to be trying to stop your cars from being made elsewhere. Most of them already are, including the "US automakers" products.

Welcome to the 21st century.

5. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You've never heard me dislike Toyota. I completely support competition. Toyota makes great cars! Most foreign automakers have been nice enough to open plants here in the US. Yeah, I agree that even if the cars are made in capitalist Japan or South Korea or Europe and help the US get off of foreign oil, I'm all for it. BUT, I don't support China. I have seen too many documentaries on China's corruption, mistreatment of workers, pollution, candy, toys, dog food, baby formula, and numerous other exports to the US that have poisoned Americans. I don't trust the ethics of the Chinese nor the safety they CLAIM of their products. They pass the govt testing, initially, but then the quality control is terrible. Sorry to rant on about this. I apologize.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Not possible. States are proscribed from impinging on interstate commerce.

Article I, Section 8, Clause 3 ~ U.S. Constitution:
    "... [The Congress shall have power] To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States . . . "

States, counties, cities etc do sometimes over step their boundries ... ever since we formed the U.S. Call it a tariff, or what ever - these kinds of fees/fines/licenses whatever get tossed.

As for BYD? Seems just a few weeks/days ago, I thought I'd heard they'd given up trying to bring their (pretty decent) ride to the U.S.
    http://www.autoevolution.com/news/byd-ev-will-not-be-18124.html

Over 200 mile rage. Nice. On again off again ... I hope they make it. It'd be a shame if they end up as vaporware. Very few are even sold in China. Most can't afford it there.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I may have missed it, is Los Angeles (LA) planning to force you to buy a chinese car ? Or do you simply wish to force your opinions on others ?

I view the tariff as a local, LA tax break given to entice a company to settle in LA and not elsewhere. Not exactly unusual.

8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's simple then - Don't buy their products. If many more people hold the same strong views like you and practice what they preach then problem solved. ;)