1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bye BMW 745i welcome Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ramapra, Oct 7, 2011.

1. ramapra

ramapra New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just recently got a 2003 7 Series BMW in June . The power , the ride , the exhilaration was great but was slowly burning my purse .
    We are buying a house and really needed to budget expenses and I privately sold the BMW and used the money to get a 2006 Toyota Prius with 68K miles .

I paid $14300 (before tax) with 2 years certified warranty from Toyota . I am wondering if there are any comparables for this deal . Is this a good deal ?

When I test drove this car ( after having driven my 745) , it seemed very underpowered and the engine seemed to be revving higher . I test drove another Prius at the dealership and it felt the same . I guess this is the way it drives .

I have no regrets , I will be saving well over $200 a month on gas .
    I have previously owned a 2005 Toyota corolla that i loved . This seems to have less power than the corolla .

2. johnmaso

johnmaso New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome! Congrats on your purchase.. I test drove a 2005 545i and was debating between that and my 07 Prius. I decided on the Prius and have no regrets. I am getting 55mpg going to work and 70 mpg going back (about low to mid 60's in MPG average) and am saving a ton on gas.

That is pretty good deal. I got my 07 with 50k miles for 17k (including fees, taxes and licensing). It was also a CPO and got all the bells and whistles (warranty, free maintenance, car washes, and the 2.9% APR for 60 mo).

IMHO, this is probably one of my best purchases.

Let's see some pictures!:D

Lurk the past threads in this forum and you will see a lot of great info to improve your mileage and driving habits. :D

Congrats and welcome!:p

1 person likes this.
  3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah it's not going to have quite the same power as your BMW. The prius is also peculiar in that it uses the electric motors to boost the acceleration, but only if the traction battery state of charge (SOC) is reasonably healthy. This makes the Prius unusual in that the amount of "get up and go" you feel can vary somewhat, depending on recent driving history.

Keep your eye on the 8-bar battery icon on the energy monitor display. It should normally be around 6 bars (and blue). But sometimes if you've done a lot of slow electric driving, or sometimes when the engine is still warming up, or if you've done a lot of hill climbing, then the SOC can drop down to 2 bars (or even lower). With this low SOC then the acceleration is somewhat compromised and the engine has to work much harder.

Two tips to stop the SOC falling too low are

1. While it's good to drive full electric (very gentle on accelerator with the engine off) on terrain where the required power is very low, don't prolong this EV mode too much (meaning to overly try to coax it into EV mode) to the point where the SOC drops.

2. It doesn't hurt to let the prius have a short warm up (about 25 to 40 seconds) in park. It's not 100% necessary but I find it helps maintain good SOC at the start of a trip, without any overall detriment to MPG. BTW. You have to be in "park" so it can pre-charge the traction battery, that way you're not completely wasting the gas during warm-up.

4. ramapra

ramapra New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tips guys !
    I will post the pics after I have 5 posts or more . The chat forum prevents me from posting .

On another note , the car feels very light . even lighter than my 2005 Corolla . Is this a deliberate design to make it lighter ? I also learnt that the has some high strength , low weight steel in its chassis .

My prime mover for getting this was a colleague who has this since 2005 and said that he has had no issues with the car excepting a water pump issue that was resolved due to a recall .

Mileage wise I am averaging around 42.5 right now with some city driving . I am constantly looking at the center of the console to see how well I am driving and whether or not I am using more electric power .

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, that's an understatement. I'd also imagine the sensations if it feeling (or being) underpowered is related to the noise, vibration and harshness (aka NVH) of 4 banger in a non-luxury car vs. a V8 in a luxury car.

I do sometimes miss the smoothness (in comparison) and abundant power of the 255 hp 3.5L V6 in my former 02 Maxima...

6. Jaquimo

Jaquimo Paraglider, Prius glider...

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ramapra, you have come to the right place for advice. When my wife and I started of with our Prii we knew very little about the Prius but the information on this forum is worth gold! Delve in and read as many relevant posts especially the stickys.

I think you got a very good deal with your Prius. I paid about $22k for my 2007 with 33000 miles but then there are very few Prii in South Africa.

I concur with uart in letting the Prius warm up for a few seconds especially in colder weather. Also if you can hear the engine rev up you are usually accelerating too fast and it can hurt your fuel efficiency. As you drive this wonderful vehicle you will get to know the feelings and sounds that enables you to drive most efficient. I plan on getting myself an UltraGauge to take the fuel consumption to the next level but my wife "just drives it" and we both enjoy the cars tremendously.

Very different to other vehicles but if you adjust your attitude and mindset you can get more satisfaction from the Prius than you thought possible. Also driving with a different mindset enables you to drive safer and see and appreciate more of our surroundings. Enjoy!

7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lol You've seen the light ramapra :cool:

What you going to do with the $200 saved each month? Save it and go for a great holiday? What about rent a Ferrari for a weekend? Or take the Mrs on a shopping weekend to New York?

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Welcome!
    Yes there's a load of us PC'rs that came from money burners. For some of us, it just took a bit longer to 'get it'.

:thumb:

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll get over the underpowered feel. I came from an 800HP 4x4 truck which was faster than my Corvette yet the Prius suits me just fine. There is plenty of power for freeway merging. Just don't expect to be able to pass 8 cars in a row on a 2 lane road. lol

10. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep, it has a lot less power ... get used to it :p

One thing you got to remember is if you are driving along at 65 mph and getting ready to pass someone, or you encounter an uphill section, in a normal vehicle the engine in the same gear would rev at about the same speed but burn more fuel to produce more power. It feels like power on tap.

In the Prius the RPMs do ramp up somewhat independent of speed. It takes a bit longer to ramp up and it feels less responsive. Also it sounds like a cross between a go-cart and a goat getting slaughtered.

11. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In addition to $200/month on gas, you'll save thousands on repair and maintenance. My favorite memory from brake class was the instructor rolling in with his mom's BMW 5 sedan, claiming that it was in perfect condition because he did all the maintenance, and finding a bad front wheel bearing, on a 5 year old car with 75000 miles.

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did I read that right? The resale value of the 2003 BMW 7 series is the same as 2006 Prius?

13. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What's the reliability and maintenance costs of a BMW 745i anyways?

14. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A month ago we moved from a BMW 335 twin turbo coupe to a new Prius. It is a fun car without all the drama of the BMW. Takes you from point A to point B economically are surprisingly quietly. I find it kind of like driving a video game.

We rarely used the 335 power anyway. Good luck with your new vehicle.

15. ramapra

ramapra New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reliability = poor
    maintenance = high

16. phdchp

phdchp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We traded a 2002 BMW 740il in on a 2008 Prius. That was one of the best moves we ever made. The BMW was eating us alive on maintenance: oil leaks, power steering fluid leaks, sticking valves flooding the intake manifold with oil and destroying the catalytic converter, random misfiring of the engine, etc. We were afraid to take it on the road because we might have to get it towed in. My wife always took her cell phone with her in case she had to call for help. It was the most expensive car we ever bought and the most unreliable car we ever bought. We bought the Prius as a used car with a Toyota extended warranty. In 40k miles, the Prius has not given us one lick of trouble. We have driven it from northern Indiana to Key West Florida and it as been a joy. We are looking forward to many, many pleasant miles from this car. I was afraid that going from a plush large car to a Prius might be a shock on my wife. But she just jumps in her Prius and goes anywhere. Great car!!

17. ramapra

ramapra New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

We are buying a house and that $200 saving would really benefit our mortgage payment . As soon as I got the BMW and experienced pain at the gas station , the prius had become my dream car . I had earlier driven a 2010 Prius . It was ok . Are there any signficant differences between the 2 and 3rd gen Prius ? Other than the mpg .

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A TON besides the very different interior and somewhat different exterior. Some additional features are optional though.

See my posts at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/88583-prius-versions.html#post1242903 and a few that follow it, esp. those from evpv and Tideland Prius. Then for the mid-cycle refresh for MY2012, see http://priuschat.com/news/exclusive-2012-my-prius-changes-and-additions and http://priuschat.com/news/2012-prius-mid-cycle-refresh-official-details.

1 person likes this.
  19. ramapra

ramapra New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MobileMe Gallery

Pics of my ex bmw MobileMe Gallery

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, plastic seatbacks even on a 7 series? I wasn't expecting that!

The combined hp of the 2nd Gen Prius is 110hp, so yes, it's a bit slower than a Corolla (but we're talking about 0.5 secs). If you think about it, 0-60mph in 10.5 sec for a 3,200lb ish car with 110hp is pretty good (thanks to the elec. motor torque).

It feels like for a few reasons - one is the skinny tires. It's 185/65R15. Another is the narrow width compared to its height and combined with the skinny tires, it's susceptible to crosswinds.

It does have generous use of ultra-high tensile steel and aluminium (hood, hatch, front suspension components and I think brake calipers are aluminium).