1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

C&D comparo - 1.Fusion, 2. Camry, 3. Altima, 4. Malibu

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by spwolf, Jan 6, 2009.

1. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

We all knew that Fusion was going to win comparos from the moment that EPA mpg's were shown... Here is the article:
    2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid vs. Camry Hybrid, Altima Hybrid, and Malibu Hybrid - Sedans/Comparison Test/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver

They loved TCH too, liked Fusion better since it is "sportier".

Not all is great though - i thought that Fusions numbers will be significantly better than this - it had overall mileage of 34mpg. It also lost to Camry on highway mpg, and is slower than Camry in acceleration.

2010 Fusion - 41/36 mpg - C&D observed 34.0 mpg???
    2009 Camry - 33/34 mpg - C&D observed 31.7 mpg??? Altima had 32 MPG?

Article does not list numbers anywhere properly, you just need to find them in the text (some of them)... It says Camry was best in highway mileage, while Fusion was better in city and two lane test. Also Fusion was more expensive than TCH.

It is very strange that article does not have numbers shown properly... I will try to find them online somewhere, if they appeared in print edition.

2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

reason i put ??? around mpg, is that they seemed to be rounding them off? Very strange. Whats so complicated about 32.4, or 34.8?

3. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Ah, C&D sheds more light on the issue (again TCH scoring better):

FUSION HYBRID CAMRY HYBRID
    30/45-mph frquent-stop test 24.9 mpg 26.5 mpg
    50-mph occasional-stop test 34.4 mpg 34.0 mpg
    70-mph highway test 33.1 mpg 34.4 mpg

They still liked Fusion better because of its driving skills:
    2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid vs 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Fuel Economy - Comparison - Motor Trend

Now, obviously as it is newer car, it was optimized better for new EPA rules. Question is - what will people say when they dont get 5 mpg better than Camry?

4. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

and kudos C&D for reporting it!

5. acdii

acdii Active Member

It all boils down to how it is driven, and just about everyone on this site knows what I mean. If you aren't getting at least EPA, you are doing something wrong. Winter is killing my overall fuel numbers on the TCH, but before winter I took the miles and gallons and did the math. Overall from day one, 40.3 MPG for the TCH. The Prius came out to just about 45 MPG, but that included winter driving. It all is in how you drive it, and I bet Fusion numbers in real world driving will get up close to Prius numbers if driven right. My Camry did.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  7. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm use to auto magazines driving cars with a mission to waste as much gas as possible and put as much stress as possible on the drivetrain. Paying any attention to their mpg numbers is like me rating how good race cars carry lumber loads.

8. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

yeah, but it is group comparo where cars are driven the same, together...

... Edmunds also found that Fusion has lower than TCH mpg, as well as Motortrend in direct comparo who got 33.5mpg in Fusion and more in TCH...

Motortrend: