1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

C1256 abs/booster saga

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by DTurner, Sep 28, 2015.

1. DTurner

DTurner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    First post here.
    Working on my daughter's 2003 Prius with 197k miles. The abs and brake lights were on and the screamer was screaming, whatever that noise is called. I wouldn't call it a buzzer. The pedal was high and hard and the brakes worked if you stood on them. I read all the forum posts related to the brake booster and even found the factory repair diags online somewhere. Took off the wipers and under metal so I could see the booster. I fed 12v to B1 and jumpered ground and got no life whatsoever from the booster.
    Fortunately, my local scrap yard had a 2003, so, on my vacation day today, I took off that booster and tested it on premises with a 12 v battery. It jumped to life, which seemed an improvement over the one on the car, and $50 later I was out the door.
    Took off the old one. Took about an hour wiggling it out through the bottom. I also had the right side knuckle off to replace the wheel bearing, so, that gave me some room.
    Interestingly, when I got the old one off, I decided to test it to make sure it was bad. Jumpered it from a 12v battery charger and it came right to life, which is very odd, I think. Anyhow, now not really knowing what the deal was or is, I decided to put the scrap yard booster on, going with the outside chance that there was something else wrong with the old one.
    Took about an hour wiggling that back up through. BTW, it helps to take the mount (4 10mm bolts) off, and then put it back on once you've cleared the axle from underneath, if that makes sense. Provided the 10 mm bolts don't just snap off, as they appear to be made of weak cheese. They all snapped off on the scrap yard booster, so, I had to switch mounting parts around with the old one.
    Screwed the "new" one in place, including the one brake line and the feeder hose, turned the key, it ran and warning screamer screamed for about 30 seconds and then went off.
    All was well. Brakes worked like new.
    I didn't bleed anything, at all.
    In sum, I'd say it's a 4 hour job and not too hard pulling it out from the bottom to avoid the a/c lines. Not sure why I didn't have to bleed the brake system, but I didn't.
    Just thought I'd add my two cents to the C1256 archive.
    DanT

DRACO and bwilson4web like this.
  2. KarenA

KarenA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your post. I'm trying to get a handle on what's wrong with my '03 before taking it to the dealer. Did you get the codes off the car? Mine are C1251, C1252, C1256, and C1214. -- pump motor circuit/hydro-booster pump motor/accumulator low pressure/hydraulic control system malfunctions. The symptoms you describe are similar to mine, except I also seem not to be able to rev the engine (maybe not such a bad thing for now since I have no brakes).

Congrats on fixing your daughter's car.