1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

C1310......again.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Qvox, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Qvox

Qvox New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    239k miles
    New 12v battery
    Rebuilt traction battery

I installed it yesterday, everything was good to go. Drove it for 20-25 miles and parked it. Today, the Red Triangle of death, and pulled the C1310 code. ugh.

Driving it around I noticed the traction battery on the graphic isn't being charged by the engine in idle. I assume this is a safety cutoff. But I want to make sure that this problem isn't something else, before I pull the traction battery ....again.

Ideas on what I might check?

Thanks

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Is that the only code? What did you use to read the codes? What does it show on Hybrid control ECU?

Sometimes Prius warms up the engine and/or catalytic converter by running the engine without charging up battery so that really doesn’t mean anything.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you take all the advice from the other thread before putting it all back together?

frankv64 likes this.
  4. Qvox

Qvox New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes.

With the exception of voltage equalization, which was recommended by the OP of the thread, but later this....

"This is not balancing the battery. What you're talking about is called voltage equalisation, and it doesn't really achieve anything worthwhile, so is a waste of time and effort."

So I did not wire the modules in parallel, and allowed them to rest before installation. I just got the voltages within .2v of one another and installed the pack.

There is a wealth of information in that thread. But honestly, as a new person to the forum, it would be a better resource if the OP could edit the original post with the one final, definitive step-by-step procedure for using hobby chargers to recondition the traction battery. The thread is too long, and there is conflicting advice in it.

More and more DIY'ers are going to be seeking out this information now. ...and so far there's a heck of lot of incomplete, and conflicting advice on the web, and youtube.

Anthony Park likes this.
  5. Qvox

Qvox New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, just the one code, and I just used a generic reader. Which has served me well.

I understand what you are saying about the warm up. But I actually drove the car around the block, and besides, the temperature outside was in the low 80's.

6. Qvox

Qvox New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    UPDATE: This is getting strange indeed.

So today, I go out to start working on the car, and pull the traction battery again. But before I do, I wanted to move the car back into the garage.

The car starts, no red triangle of death, no warning lights at all. I hook up the reader, and there are NO CODES.

Wth?!!!!

I drive the car around the block because I still don't trust it, and don't feel like getting stranded on a Sunday afternoon. It drives fine. It operates fine. With one new exception.

The fuel gauge reads one blinking bar (nearly empty), which I know is wrong, since it was reading full yesterday, and I filled up the tank on Friday after I reinstalled the traction battery.

--No red triangle of death, No warning lights, No codes, car seems to operate fine, NEW PROBLEM, the fuel gauge is obviously reading wrong today.

Has my Prius developed alzheimer's, is it playing jokes on me, do I have gremlins messing with my car, is it possessed by a ghost? What is going on?

#6 Qvox, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Anthony Park likes this.
  7. Qvox

Qvox New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    UPDATE #2: Red Triangle is back, and so is code C1310

I went to go find a level spot to see if I could reset the gas gauge, and fix the false empty, ....and boom, red triangle is back, along with code C1310.
    The gas gauge is still flashing one bar. So at least that problem is "consistent".

I don't know if the two are related or not. Ironically the car seems to function normally, other than the warning lights and codes. I just don't trust it.

This is strange. I don't know how to troubleshoot this "problem". Any help or recommendations is most appreciated.

#7 Qvox, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, you can't edit threads after a few hours.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i guess you need a mini vci, but i don't know anything about them.

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or you could post what you found and did as a definitive guide for the new user. The only problem is that this is a living thread and your post will soon be buried somewhere in the middle. The alternative is once you are sorted, you could start a new Definitive guide thread.
    Because it is a living thread, and the process has changed with the knowledge gained, along with new tools available (e. g. grid chargers), what may seem contradictory (if read in isolation) is really just a change in thought and process and the resulting adaptation.

strawbrad likes this.
  11. Qvox

Qvox New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    UPDATE #3 Gas gauge reads FULL (correct), and hybrid system works perfectly with NO CODES ....I have no idea what's going on.

But I'm not sure I'd trust this Prius as a primary mode of transportation until I know what's going on. There's obviously something wrong with it, but I have absolutely no idea what it is, or where to begin to diagnose it.

I bought an old Windows XP laptop on Ebay, and have a mini-VCI cable on the way, so I'll use the Toyota software to see if it picks up anything my non-toyota specific OBD II reader isn't catching. But so far I have no codes, and the car seems to be operating perfectly.

And for the life of me, this one has me absolutely baffled. It's been my experience that cars just don't "fix" themselves, and erratic electrical problems are probably kind of a big problem for an electric hybrid.

Once all my old-tech arrives, and I get a chance to run a scan with Toyota Techstream, I'll post an update. Until then I don't know what to do except, put this one in the X Files. I want to believe

[​IMG]

....it's fixed.

#11 Qvox, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have we discussed the 12v?

13. Anthony Park

Anthony Park Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My gut feeling is that this is a simple problem with an easy, albeit difficult to find fix. Whatever you do, dont give up on your car or just give it to me. I will get it up and running again no problem. ;-)

14. Qvox

Qvox New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I forgot to come back and update this post.

So after 3 weeks the car is working and performing fine. No more anomalous red triangles of death. I still have no idea why it threw the code. But after running the car it hasn't thrown that code since. <knock on wood>

bisco likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for the update, all the best!(y)

16. SLPTWP

SLPTWP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hope you get online to read this also have thrown the C1310 on my car and have red skid control ECU ...OK so not only that but C 1259 hv regerative malfunction and P3018 cell block 8 weak..I think it was my 14tg cell out of the 28 that had 7.52 the res were around 7.75 give or take .05