1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

C300 Vs Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cproaudio, Jul 20, 2010.

1. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The other day I went to a friends house that I havent seen a couple of years. We started catching up and started talking about our new cars that we had just bought. He started to tell me about his new MB C300 and how he bought it at 1500 below invoice and how bad nice person the MB is and how he drive at 130MPH from San Diego to Bakersfield. BTW he has no fear of ever getting a ticket because he's a federal agent. He let me drove the car and I gotta say it's really smooth and the acceleration is fast. 0-80 in holy crap, and it's only a 3.0 V6. His MB is somewhat bone stock though. It has no nav, only halogen headlights but it does have power everything. He was so proud of his car. When we get to talkin about my car I can see the grin on his face. I told him don't laugh at my Prius. My Prius can kick your Mercedes nice person in everything except for the speed and it gets 55 miles to the gallon. I showed him how the smart key works. We got in and I told him to hold the keys. I said listen and tell me what you hear. I pushed the start button and shifted to D and took off. He said thats it? I said yeah thats it. I didnt let him drive because he had a couple of beers. He said that if I get pulled over he's gonna tell the cop to f-off. I took him on the freeway and showed him the dynamic cruise. I set the speed at 70MPH I pull up to a big rig doing 55MPH and got behind the big rig. My prius decelerated enough that he lunged forward a bit. He was amazed and said "Holyschit that's your cruise? yeah, I dont have that." Then I show him the LKA. I set it then let go the steering wheel right when it beeped and the Prius corrected itself right before it went into standby. Now he's scratching his head. I said lane keep assist baby. After the short freeway run we went back to an empty parking lot and I show him the auto reverse parking. He kept looking at the back up cam and the steering wheel turning by itself. After it parked he said do again do again so I did it again. He asked if it can parallel park like the Lexus. I told him yeah but I've never tried it. We went back to his house and setup a few empty boxes and it worked. He was really amazed at what the Prius can do. I also showed him how my Tilt 2 connects to the stereo via BT and the steering wheel buttons controls the media player. He also loves the dash display and the buttons come on when I push the steering wheel control. After I showed him my Prius, we changed subjects to drug busts.

5 people like this.
  2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Better tell your friend to slow down, federal agents are required to obey the laws too. ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nice story...the MB C300 is a nice car...i had it as a loaner when my MB was in the shop (for oil changes, etc.). It is very solid, but lacks features unless you go over the $42k mark. I think that MB C-class is the best design recently from MB. I think that C&D did a longterm test on it a while back and it did pretty well. I still feel that MB's recent offering are built to a higher degree than before...and i would pick it over a BMW.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    haha. The new C-Class is a nice vehicle and MB has stepped up their game in terms of standard equipment and value in their vehicles (it wasn't that long ago that a CD player was stlil optional in a C-Class). I'm still amazed at the technology that Toyota is able to offer in the Prius for a Toyota price. I was never expecting to see DRCC or PCS for at least another 5-10 years (i.e. wait til it shows up on the Sequoia or Avalon then have it filter down to the Highlander and Camry).

5. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm sure he's exaggerating about doing 130 from SD to central cal. He probably cruise at 80-90 and topped out at 130 when there's no traffic. I'm sure he got pulled over lots of time but were never given a ticket. I've seen CHPs hiding on the side of the freeway all the time with their laser guns.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you rock, man!:rockon:

7. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wait till the warranty runs out. I love a lot of things about Mercedes, but they are not reliable cars

1 person likes this.
  8. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    He puts 20-25k a year so I'm sure the warranty will run out in a couple of years. I don't remember if he said the dealer gave him life time oil change or not but he did say that the dealer gave him life time free car wash. All I got was 25k free maintenance which is pretty useless since the Prius only require oil change once a year.

9. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    MB does not give lifetime free oil changes nor free oil changes within warranty period. Free oil changes ended at the start of 2005 model year. (I had a 2004 MB G500, which was the last year of free oil changes within warranty period.) Your friend would have to pay extra for any oil change pre-paid plan.

"Lifetime" car wash is fairly useless because the dealers offer this a lot. Every oil changes include complimentary car wash. And if you really want, they will wash it (via machine wash with brush) at other times too. Unless you live right next to dealer, this is a useless benefit.

2 oil changes with full synthetic is still a saving of at least $100. It's worth it in my book.

10. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It could be a dealer thing. Hooman Toyota of Long Beach offer free oil change, car wash, free flat repair for as long as you own your car.
    "Lifetime" car wash is extremely useful compare to 2 oil changes with synthetic. It takes 24mo or 20k to get 2 oil changes @ $60 each. Thats about $120 There's also tax and fees. Lets say $140
    Any car wash place that offer unlimited wash charge about $30/mo. You'll make back $150 in 5 months of ownership. You could say what dont you wash the car yourself. I would say why dont you change the oil yourself.

11. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI the new E-class has many of the that your Prius has.

Also: no C63 AMG Black, no care.

12. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Have you seen Mercedes car washes? They are not particularly high-end. My black MB had tons of light scratches due to them using brushes (sometimes dirty!).

13. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Black cars are known to show every imperfections. I'm sure if we put a white car and a black car through your MB dealer's car wash, the black will show all the scratches while the white one wont show squat. I can assure you that all the same tiny imperfections are also there on the white car. You just can't see it. That's why I bought a white Prius. The free car wash thing is must likely a dealer thing not an MB incentive. It's an option that you can choose to have it washed at the dealer or elsewhere except there's no charge if it's washed at the dealer. If my dealer had similar offer, I would probably bought the car there. I haven't voluntarily washed my Tacoma in 5 years. Every year I let the rain do it for me. I'd take the free car wash over free oil change any time.

14. Beauregard

Beauregard Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I own both a Mercedes and Toyota Prius. Both car companies are good. It's somewhat difficult to compare the vehicles though.

Your friend sounds like he's capable of arrogant jerkiness at times though. Troopers could care less about a Federal Badge. Sounds like puffiness to me.

15. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That is not the point...the point is that the carwash at the dealerships are not particularly high-end...and they do a rush job of it too.

16. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For over twice as much money...

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That looks like a 2010 ES350 in your avatar!

Edit: Oh.. it's in your signature lol

18. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It is indeed-ey! Picked it up Monday evening.

Love it so far! Great car...now we'll be keeping the '04 Prius I suppose ;)

19. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why the ES over the GS? I wasnt very impressed with the ES sedan we got as a loaner when our RX was getting its 60k service done. On the other hand the GS350 one friend has and the GS450h another friend has were both very impressive...

20. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What year was that ES loaner? I never cared for the 07-09 ES350, I thought the interiors were too stark, but they made a bunch of changes for 2010 that really for me made it very attractive.

The interior of the GS is smaller, the GS on the whole is smaller believe it or not. Smaller trunk. More expensive by about $10,000 similarly equipped. I lease for business and Lexus subsidizes leases on the ES and they don't on the GS, so the GS is considerably more expensive to lease. The GS is also much lower stock so its hard to get an "incredible" deal on one like I did this ES ($1,500 under invoice). The ES is smoother and quieter than the GS. The GS is more expensive to insure. Just all around the price difference is really significant for whats, IMHO not a whole lot of benefit. I like the GS and have driven a bunch of them, but its not the right fit for me.