1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CA Clean Air Vehicle Stickers- Tips to get quickly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by j24816, Apr 22, 2006.

1. j24816

j24816 New Member

There are numerous threads with numerous messages on getting California Clean Air stickers. This is an attempt to summarize the information. Thank you to all who have taken the time to post their experiences; I hope this summary will help those seeking the stickers, especially as the 75,000 limit is approached.

The application for the stickers requests your license plate number, which is issued by DMV after they receive information from your car dealer.

WHEN WILL THE STICKERS RUN OUT?
    Currently about 57,000 of the 75,000 stickers have been issued. DMV appears to be issuing about 1,000 a week (actually somewhat less, but this is a conservative working number.). At this rate they would run out at the end of August/early September. I would suspect there are a fair number of people who are procrastinating or ambivalent; as the number issued approaches 75,000 there will probably be a slight surge in applications. My (uneducated) guess: Last sticker will be issued August 29.

YOUR DEALER
    My read is that the single biggest variable affecting the time it takes to get stickers is your friendly car dealer. There are three ways the dealer will affect your application.
    1. Amount of time it takes for the dealer to send the information to DMV.
    2. Whether the information is sent manually (paper) or electronically.
    3. Whether the dealer is willing to check DMV database to determine if the plate number has been issued.

The most important variable appears to be the electronic filing. If sent electronically there is less chance of error and the information is in the DMV system faster (like the day it is transmitted). Sending paper requires a second round of data entry (initial preparation of paperwork at dealer, data entry at DMV) with associated risk of error, the chance you application will be lost/â€misplacedâ€, time required to be delivered, etc. Although this is an irritant now, there will be people who do not get stickers because their dealers sent paper to DMV rather than sending electronically.

If your dealer expedites processing of Prius information and sends the data daily it will get there faster than if the dealer processes the DMV data weekly, bi-weekly, or worse. The dealer has a fixed length of time to send the data to DMV; when I called DMV they said the dealer had 30 days; my dealer stated they had 20 days (which they took), and other posts indicate there is only a 10 day grace period. I don’t know what the truth is. Although this is an irritant now, there will be people who do not get stickers because their dealers were slow in getting data to DMV.

If you want to be sure your application is processed, the safest thing to do is to include the plate information on the application. (more on this below). Some dealers will check the DMV database for you, others refuse. You can call DMV direct at 800-777-0133 (option 0) or 916-657-8035 to request directly from DMV; getting the info from the dealer saves hassle and may be more reliable.

SHOULD I SEND THE APPLICATION WITHOUT THE LICENSE PLATE NUMBER
    The posts have a menagerie of responses; some people sent an application without plate numbers immediately after purchase and then received their stickers; others sent an application without plate numbers and then received a request to resend the application. DMV has taken a bashing in the posts as a result, but I suspect the difference is successful people had customer focused dealers who quickly transmitted info (electronically) to DMV, which the rejects had slugs for dealers who eventually sent paper to DMV.

Some posters believe the DMV is getting more stringent and consistent on requiring the plate number on the application. I am holding my application until I know the plate number has been issued, largely because my dealer is sending paper and has no sense of urgency.

That said, the mood/motivation/competence of the person processing your application probably will impact your chances of success. This is true whether your application includes the plate number or not.

Doug’s April 20 post raised a good point: “The people who are processing this <at DMV> are most likely people who make a lot less money than most of us hybrid car owners. You NEED their cooperation. If like me, you are having a difficult time remaining calm, do what I did have someone else make the calls for you.â€

HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO GET STICKERS AFTER MY CHECK IS CASHED
    Some people get the stickers in a couple of weeks, others a couple of months. I have been unable to correlate this difference with anything.

Good luck!

2. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the wonderful summary.

3. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    AND- according to one of our OC PRius Club members- just bought her 3rd PRIUS (sold the 2005 with 47,000 miles, so still has 2 2006 Prius), who has an in with a northern LA dealer- they said to speed it up by 2 weeks (after the dealer has submitted the paper),

send a CASHIERS check.

4. cabillings

cabillings New Member

The dealership where I purchased from offers, for a $28 fee, electronic filing to the DMV. They claim that it will knock of several weeks waiting for plates. I should receive them in 10 days. We will see!

5. bbartel

bbartel New Member

I wonder if this would help: While waiting for your Prius to arrive at the dealer, order custom license plates through DMV web site. When you get your car, take the paperwork to DMV, ask them to assign your custom plates to the new car's VIN.

Could save a few weeks.

Bruce

6. bsd43

bsd43 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bruce B @ May 1 2006, 11:56 PM) [snapback]248443[/snapback]</div>
    The DMV won't transfer your custom plates to your car unless you surrender the physical sequential plates at the same time.

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bsd43 @ May 2 2006, 12:59 AM) [snapback]248451[/snapback]</div>
    I had the same set of personalized plates on several cars. Each time I that traded the old car for the new one, the dealer completed the paperwork that simply transferred the plates from my trade-in to the new car. At no time was it required that a sequential plate be issued before the custom plate could be assigned to the new vehicle.

8. j24816

j24816 New Member

Received stickers, elapsed time from car purchase ~7 weeks.

~2 weeks: Time for dealer to get paper out the door
    ~2.5 weeks: Time for DMV to do data entry, generate plate #.
    ~3 weeks: Time for postal service to send application, DMV issues stickers, Postal Service delivers.

If you are counting, the first 4.5 weeks could drop to 1 week or less by using a dealer who efficiently gets the DMV information transmitted electronically.

I had very good experience calling the 800 number to get license plate info from DMV.

It was about a week from time check cashed to receiving stickers.

Good luck to all still awaiting their stickers (or their car!)....

9. erictooley

erictooley New Member

Here's a tip: enclose a photocopy of your temporary registration with your application. The first time I sent in my application, they sent a rejection letter, telling me that I must wait for my plates. So I sent the application in again, this time with a copy of my temporary registration. Sure enough, I received the sticker today (#60111, BTW) even though I'm still waiting for license plates.

10. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ May 2 2006, 11:37 AM) [snapback]248636[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm....I went to both AAA AND DMV with my disabled plates in hand--both told me they could do nothing until I had the sequential plates in hand to give to them.

My dealer made no offers to do anything except the DMV paperwork, for which they charged me I don't remember how much... :(