1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CA Emissions Hybrid Warranty, Car originally purchased out of state

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jwpat40984, Aug 17, 2015.

1. jwpat40984

jwpat40984 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently bought a 2012 Prius II in California (Prius 2, 57,000mi). I believe the car was originally purchased in 2011 in Florida, and has been registered in 2 other states.

Because I purchased it and have it registered in CA, do I qualify for the 10yr/150,000mi California Emissions Hybrid warranty for my battery? Does it matter if the original purchase location was not a CA Emissions state?

Thanks

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    According to the info you have given above, Toyota may disqualify from CARB warranty because the Toyota rules are that the car must be purchased, registered and normally driven in a CARB state at the first ownership, and again at repair time. So the FL purchase is the killer if you are correct.

However, all USA Prii are CARB-certified and CA is of course a CARB state. So Toyota may give your car special consideration. Also their software program which dealers use to determine CARB qualification sometimes seems to cover cars we might think should be disqualified.

Seems to me there could be some fuzziness to these rules, especially for older (2006-) Prii, but by the time you get up to 2012 model year, I believe your warranty guide probably clearly spells out Toyota policy as stated above. Earlier years the owners manuals were probably less clear, leaving more legal wiggle room.

#2 wjtracy, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015