1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CA HOV Sticker adhesive removal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rufaro, Dec 21, 2008.

1. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to replace the stickers on the bumpers and fenders of my car due to having had some bits painted/replaced (minor cosmetic, not structural, damage, and CA DMV demands all 4 stickers be returned, so I have 3 ex-sticker-on areas to clean before I replace all 4 stickers). I saw an old thread from someone in NY with several suggestions, but no indication as to what worked. Any firm knowledge about removal?

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Ours are real old. CA issues replacements ones if they're too beat up, stolen, damaged. I read there are several adhesive removal methods. On a similar sticker adhesive, I started with a heat gun, wiping it off as it got hot. Then followed up the remainder with 'goop' ... the mechanics hand cleaner ... non-abrasive type. Several manufacturers sell the stuff. It comes in a can, in a consistency of a gel. Check your local automotive supply place ... pepboys, craigen, etc.

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Rufaro,

Welcome back!

I like Goo Gone. It's citrus based and works well. You can buy it at hardware stores, Home Depot, Rite Aid -- just about anyplace that sells common hardware or houseware supplies.

[IMGLINK]http://www.magicamerican.com/media/80794/gg44.jpg[/IMGLINK]

4. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Try WD-40. Spray a small amount directly on the adhesive, and rub with a soft cloth. It also works if you spray the cloth and then rub that on the adhesive.

Attached Files:

5. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you friends (and HI back atcha, Boo!)--I'm a tad scared--are we sure none of these methods hurts paint?

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Goo Gone says:

Can I use Goo Gone on my car or motorcycle to remove sap, tar, sticker adhesive and dried latex?

Traditional and Automotive Goo Gone formulas are safe to use on your car’s exterior, using instructions for hard surfaces. To clean interior stains, use the instructions for carpeting and upholstery. Goo Gone may also be used on vinyl and non-tinted glass.

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And WD-40 says:

I've heard that people use WD-40 as a cleaner/remover. What can it be used on?

WD-40 removes sap, tar, adhesives, labels and tape from surfaces without damaging existing paint. It's an effective cleaner for tools, equipment, and vehicles. Use it to remove splattered bugs from the front of cars. WD-40 will even help remove gum from carpet. Just spray, wait, and wipe with a clean cloth.

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correction: Goo Gone is also petroleum based (like WD-40), but has citrus added. Both products are handy to have around.

9. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yep, both products are equally safe to use on paint, in this case, the surface of your cars bumper. :)

10. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have 2 suggestions, neither will hurt the paint:
    1) 3m makes a woodgrain and stripe adhesive remover, sold in most good auto parts stores.
    2) Starting fluid(ether) also in auto parts stores. I have used this as well.
    (flammable)

Hope this helps.