1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CA HOV Sticker Transfer Question - I'm Scared!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by exbike1, Nov 3, 2006.

1. exbike1

exbike1 New Member

I just purchased a used Prius last night from a CA dealer. The vehicle has HOV stickers and we purchased that particular car for that reason. I have been on the phone with CalTrans to get a Fastrak transponder. I've been chatting for about a half hour and talked to several different operators and got varying degrees of responses.

Most of the operators (although not all) agree with what I understand, that the sticker is tied to the VIN.

However,

1. They seem to want me to re-apply for the sticker so that it is in their system under my name rather than the previous owner's name. This makes sense, but it makes me scared and leads me to believe I'll be put back in the cue of fast-disappearing last 10,000 stickers.

2. The dealer removed the license plates (they were vanity plates with a silly name) and has started the paperwork for new DMV plates. One CalTrans operator thougth that changing plates at the same time as changing ownership might invalidate the HOV sticker and that I'd go back in line to apply for the fast disappearing remaing stickers.

I'm freaked out and want to hide under the covers. It seems as if there is incomplete information within CalTrans and I don't want to do anything to hurt my chances of transferring the HOV sticker on this vehicle to my name.

CA HOV drivers (espeically used purchasers) - help me please!!

Thanks, Matt
    CA Bay Area

2. tds

tds New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(exbike1 @ Nov 3 2006, 10:37 AM) [snapback]343340[/snapback]</div>
    First of all, it has nothing to do with CalTrans, with regard to issuing the sticker. You need to deal with FasTrak and DMV to get the sticker.

Secondly, which number did you call? Do you have the paperwork for the original sticker? Call the Special Processing Unit at 916-657-8035 to ask about their opinion. I think at the worst you'll need to pay the $8 to get a replacement sticker.

3. stomsf

stomsf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think you're OK -- (and I wish I had my HOV sicker last night in that hellish Bay Bridge traffic). At speed I don't think they will be checking your sticker for the number as you're whizzing through the toll plaza or by traffic, and it's not like they asked you to peel off the sticker.

I would just get new plates and your hybrid transponder for the bridge and you're good to go. I only have the transponder so dar..... :unsure:

4. exbike1

exbike1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dawning Sky @ Nov 3 2006, 02:01 PM) [snapback]343358[/snapback]</div>
    Great info Dawning! Sorry, my typo. I did mean to write "FasTrak" and not "CalTrans" in my original post.

Thanks for the number. I did get a knowledgeable DMV person who had some good information. She said that:

1. I need to wait until I get the car registered in my name.
    2. Once registration is transferred, go to Fastrak and sign up for a transponder and get the recipt.
    3. Fill out and submit a DMV REG1000 and be sure to tick off the box that says "Replacement" rather than new. Send REG1000 to DVM along with a Fastrak receipt and $8.
    4. Sit and wait for replacement sticker that is now tied to my registration, name and plate number.

Does anyone have any negative experiences that might suggest a different approach to the steps I've listed above?

Thanks!

-Matt (slightly less neurotic now)

5. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't forget that you need the certificate that comes with the stickers as well. If you do get pulled over you are supposed to present the cert to the cop if questioned about the sticker's validity.

Since it's a used car and you can prove that you recently bought it and that you're working to get the sticker paperwork updated, I would think the most you would get is a "fixit" ticket. I wouldn't worry so much about it.

6. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It may depend on how the officer chooses to cite you. Maybe a fixit ticket. Maybe the more expensive HOV-lane violation.