1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CA Runs Out of HOV Stickers

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by bilofsky, Dec 18, 2015.

1. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    CARB has posted that the limit of 85,000 stickers has been reached and no more will be issued for the time being.

"IMPORTANT NOTICE: The 85,000 statutory Green Clean Air Vehicle Decal limit has been reached. The DMV will continue to accept applications without payment to establish a queue for requesters should an additional amount of decals be authorized. There is no guarantee that additional decals will be authorized in the coming months. Those individuals in the queue will be notified to submit payment if additional decals are approved. Updates will be provided here as more information becomes available."

There's more information and discussion in this thread on the Volt forum.

2. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When previous limits were reached, there was a lot of discussion on this forum. The above post is the first we have heard on PC for months, and it says that the DMV is sold out of green HOV decals. Is the stock of new PiPs exhausted (production having ceased) and there just aren't any more new ones being sold?o_O

3. bilofsky

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    And I only posted here as an ex-PiP owner. My current interest is my 2016 Volt, for which the stickers arrived today from the dealer.

It should be of interest here since HOV stickers are the primary motivation for PiP purchasers in CA, but not for Volt or Leaf purchasers.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    To be fair, it is the primary reason for some buyers of all three. It is just that the PiP had the highest percentage.
    It will be interesting to see how this affects sales over the next few months.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would expect a fairly big hit on PHEV sales, including the new PiP2 when it finally comes out.

Maybe I am wrong, but due to the impact on plug-in hybrid sales, I was expecting Ca. to keep extending green stickers and maybe extend the deadline on the green HOV past 2019. Otherwise PHEV sales will fall a lot I believe.

Charles- I got tired of following green stickers, as every time they ran out, they just extended it again. Also Toyota stopped the PiP1 production, so game over for PiP1. Believe Dianne Whitmire sold her last PiP several months ago....sales are down to <100/month in USA as last ones go,

#5 wjtracy, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe the future stickers will be for bev's only, and toy will roll out the next pip nationwide. best of both world's.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...that is current plan the white HOV stickers are BEV and they keep being issued. BEV sales are already starting to overtake PHEV in CA this year (by far).

So let's take a look at the numbers (ballpark figures):
    Plug_In America shows 394,000 Plug-in sales as of today lets call it 400,000

So we have roughly 85000 Green stickers in CA call it 85% of PHEV so 100,000 PHEV in CA
    Let's say white sticker BEV approx equal that's 100,000 BEV in CA

So 200,000 out of 400,000 Plug-Ins sold in CA (that's about right).
    But the early 2012/2013 sales were ~40% CA...now it is getting to 55-60% plug-in sales in CA alone.
    And the finding is the CA HOV sticker a large driver of the sales.

8. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    One thing I'm curious to see is what will happen to used car prices. I saw some low resale values on PiP but given that now you can't get any more stickers presumably the resale value should go up. That's what happened with the original Prius back when we had the yellow stickers.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    White HOV stickers are also being issued for hydrogen FCEVs and CNGs. As a reminder, list is at Eligible Vehicles - Single Occupant Carpool Lane Use Stickers.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Any rumors of more green HOV stickers?

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not heard of any. The page I pointed is about about all I know of on this:
    Personally, I don't think they'll raise the limit. There have been articles like Our HOV lanes are so slow they break federal laws - The Orange County Register for awhile. Doesn't make sense to open that back up in addition to the white stickers having no limit.

12. bilofsky

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    I'm leaning that way a bit. Toyota moved their headquarters from California to Texas, and the PiP is one of the most sticker-sensitive for sales. And last time there was pushback from the MTA about carpool lane congestion.

Even if they do, it's the start of the legislative session and it'll take a while for a bill to wind through the process. If they can't get 2/3 votes for an urgency measure, it wouldn't take effect until 2017.

I've been watching values for the Volt, and they haven't moved a lot in the past few months. But it might be too early for awareness to have spread enough to impact prices yet.

SAronian likes this.