1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CA smog check for 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by whodat, Jul 19, 2006.

1. whodat

whodat Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Apparently the Toyota Prius is not compatible with California's two speed idle tests and must be sent
    to state contracted referee facilities where the hybrid inspections are performed.

Although this is early for my 2006 Prius, I'm curious what experiences older model Priuses had with California smog check?

Thanks
    Dave

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't know much about the tests (esp. since I don't live in CA), but here is what I suspect is some relevant info. from the Toyota website:

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2006/prius/...ion_levels.html

Here are some relevant threads:

Smog Checks in California
    California Smog Check?
    California smog check?
    Anyone out there have Smog Check readings for a Prii??

Summary: Seems that the Prius has been exempted from this check until 2010.

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Bo...heck/hybrid.htm

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whodat @ Jul 19 2006, 07:28 PM) [snapback]289138[/snapback]</div>
    In California the Prius is exempt from smog inspections.
    As long as your Vehicle Registration shows a “Q†under the “MP†(Motive Power) you will not receive a Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice requiring a smog check, until if/when the exemption expires.

This is the only place I could find the meaning of the “Q†(and no, I'm not talking Star Trek ;) )
    25.060 Clean Air Vehicle Decals (VC §§5205.5 and 21655.9)
    Hybrid (Q motive power) vehicles, which use both gas and electricity . . .

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/ch25.pdf

4. jrct9454

jrct9454 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, here in Washington state, the Prius [and any other car with an EPA city figure over 50 mpg] is lifetime exempt from emissions inspections....thank you very much...

5. whodat

whodat Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jrct9454 @ Jul 20 2006, 05:37 AM) [snapback]289287[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, I didn't even include the cost benefit and hassle factor of not having to do emission inspections. The payback time period has just improved slightly on my 2006 Prius! :rolleyes:

6. yauman

yauman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whodat @ Jul 19 2006, 07:28 PM) [snapback]289138[/snapback]</div>

errrr.. why are you worrying about that? Did you modify it or something? "Out of the box" the Prius and the Civic Hybrid and the Insight are exempted from California smog checks! I've never received a smog check required renewal for my 2003 Civic Hybrid. My Prius is only 6 month old, but I'm sure I won't get one for it either.

7. whodat

whodat Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yauman @ Jul 20 2006, 11:38 AM) [snapback]289486[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, I didn't realize the out of the box Prius's were exempted from smog checks. I poked around on the CARB website and then went the CA DMV and found some blurb about needing some special test.