1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CA sues automakers over GW

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by TimBikes, Sep 20, 2006.

1. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Read here

2. triphop

triphop New Member

Ok, that's the stick but where is the carrot?

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(triphop @ Sep 20 2006, 03:11 PM) [snapback]322463[/snapback]</div>
    They shoved the carrot up the auto mfgs arse before they started beating them with the stick. That's the carrot and stick method of motivation. :p

4. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think the lawsuit itself is a red herring; likely it will be tossed out in court. What IS significant, I think, is that this is the first shot over the bow in the struggle to get car makers to improve. Remember the first cigarette lawsuits?
    B

5. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen @ Sep 20 2006, 06:08 PM) [snapback]322592[/snapback]</div>
    I think you are right Bob. First, I personally think this sort of suit is baseless and ridiculous. Why not sue every citizen in the state who has ever bought a car? Or, for that matter, everyone who has ever exhaled. But you are right that it's probably more in the way of the state positioning / posturing in order to make the automakers improve. In support of your point, it targeted automakers, not the oil companies, since automakers are where the improvement would lie.

BTW - I like tripps description of carrot and stick. Pretty funny.

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Sep 20 2006, 09:53 PM) [snapback]322675[/snapback]</div>
    I heard it while on active duty (Army) a few years ago. It struck a chord at the time.

I agree that the suit is ridiculous. It does send a message but I wonder if it's not somewhat counter productive, at least in the eyes of the bystanders who will hear about it and think what a bunch of crack pots the plaintiffs are. They may not be all that far off. :D

7. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Sep 21 2006, 08:57 PM) [snapback]323188[/snapback]</div>
    Political grandstanding at its worst. The vehicles sold meet all California regulations. Under this kind of pretense, couldn't everyone selling anything in CA be sued? Everything causes CO2 if you trace it back far enough, either in the harvesting, manufacturing, or end use.