1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CA? Sunroofs in DC!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by elitman, May 26, 2005.

1. elitman

elitman New Member

I'm on a quest to let the sun shine into my Prius, but living in the mid-Atlantic area, options for such things are considerably more limited than one might find in the warmer, sunnier regions of the country. So, for the benefit of others, I'll document my quest to locate and install my sunroof in the coming weeks.

I've read through the various posts on this site related to sunroofs, and have narrowed the issues down to the following:

1. Roof shape.
    a. Does it lend itself to the installation of a sunroof at all?
    b. When installed, what becomes of the existing indentation?
    c. Would a particular installation impact the stability, durability or safety of the roof in the event of an acccident?
    d. Would changes in shape impact wind noise or introduce body vibration?

2. Aesthetics.
    a. Would the exterior look change significantly, and if so, for the better or worse?
    b. How good of a job will a given shop do in maintaining the factory look of the fabric and interior design?
    c. What becomes of the rear, dome light?

3. Economy.
    a. How much $$?
    b. Impact on mileage?
    c. Post-installation support and warranty are a necessity.

With that as the foundation, I'm on my quest. I'll report in as I learn more.

2. elitman

elitman New Member

I just got off the phone with Sure-Fit in Arlington, VA. They're one of the larger custom auto shops in the area, and did a great job on a sunroof installation on a Grand Cherokee I had in the late 90's.

They're scheduled to do their first Prius sunroof installtion this Tuesday. They have the sunroof and replacement roof in house, and are charging $895 for the job.

According to Dana @ Sure-Fit, the roof will maintain an indentation similar to the original, although the center will be flat to support the sunroof. It will have auto open, close and pop-up features, and will automatically close when the car is turned off. They will install a sunshade in fabric that matches the roof, and will move the dome light back but maintain its position reasonably centered over the back seat.

He explained to me that there is no roll bar in the roof of a Prius (or most cars, for that matter), and that they will install a support along the roof that will give it greater rigidity than the original. Of course, the price to be paid for this is slightly increased weight in the vehicle, but I imagine that its impact on fuel economy or performance will be negligible, particularly in comparison with the disruption of airflow an open sunroof will create.

I've asked them to take pictures of the job, and will talk to them on Wednesday to learn of their experience.

More to come.

-Eric

3. elitman

elitman New Member

Another call with Sure-Fit reveals that I was mis-quoted on the price the first time I called. The price they're now quoting me is $1095, not $895. While higher than their original quote, the updated price seems to make a bit more sense. Of course, I'd rather pay $895...

They've offered to take pictures of the car they're modifying this Tuesday, and I'll likely go down and check it out. I'll post photos here if/when I get them.

Anyway, here's their site for reference:

http:/www.sure-fit.com/

I've left a couple of messages for the custom installer that works with Antwerpen Toyota in Clarksville. Automotive Essentials is the company name, and Adam is the contact: 301-370-8065. I've been told by the Toyota dealer that he's done multiple Prius sunroof installations at $1500, but I've yet to confirm this with him.

-Eric

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You speak of the current Prius with the curved roof but the dome light (front and rear) are out of the way and shouldn't affect the installation of the sunroof unlike some cars with a centre mounted overhead dome lamp.