1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cabin air filter at 45,000 miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by southjerseycraig, Oct 23, 2013.

1. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will soon be going in for the 45,0o0 miles service. My understanding is that the cabin air filter should be cleaned, but that replacement is scheduled for 60,000 miles. Am I correct? Are there any circumstances under which I should replace the cab air filter at this time? I do not drive in dusty conditions and the vast majority of my mileage is at expressway speed.

2. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's very easy to check. There's a DIY video here somewhere. I wouldn't let the dealer touch it.

TsKarma likes this.
  3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What's the pollen count in your area? If it's high then you might want to replace it now. You can also get a replacement filter at Walmart for under $20 and do it yourself. I did that just before my 35k service. Only to get a call from the dealer (stealer?) to tell me the the filter was dirty and needed replacement.

4. sprtent

sprtent Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For their price, I don't think they should be cleaned at all but replace them every 30k or every 2 years. Afterall, it's our health we're talking about. We wouldn't leave our furnace filter unchanged for 2 years :) Get the dark color ones with carbon for a fresher smell :) I bet at 45k your filter would not look clean at all.

southjerseycraig likes this.
  5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    45K is well past its expected life span. By all means look at it but it should be replaced just on spec. 30K is the most I've gotten out of one but it was WAY past needing it even then. I plan on 15K replacement unless it looks very good. I'd recommend 10K if you have the solar roof system. The cleaner it is, the better your HVAC system will function. I predict it will look pretty fuzzy and BLACK at 45K. Probably critters living in there too.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I replace mine ever 10k which I think is a bit over kill, but I wouldn't want to leave it past 20k. It's a cheap part and helps with your comfort.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The cabin air filter is easy to inspect and clean. If it's got holes in it, then it's time for a new one. Otherwise, a warm soapy rinse and a thorough drying will have it good as new.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The carbon filter version is much tougher and will last much longer. All you need to do is take it out once a month and shake it out.
    Some light compressed air helps too.

9. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At 30,000 miles, mine was dark grey and had bits of stones and dry leaves compacted in it. I couldn't believe it looked that bad. A $15 replacement (NAPA Gold filter) was what the doctor ordered. The instructions are in your owner's manual, and you'll find a user video in this forum if you search. Took 4 minutes, tops. Your dealer could do it for maybe a hundred dollars, but why let them have all the fun with your money?

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Careful.

Alot of times detritus found in the cabin filter sometimes means mouse activity which is very common in a Prius especially if car not garaged. And sometimes even in the garage. One poster found dog food in the filter and tracked it back to open dog food bag stored by the car in the garage. Mice were bringing in the food to there new home. The dashboard.

Meece find the wiring in a Prius delicious.