1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cabin Blower stopped

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by noisebeam, Jan 9, 2014.

1. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The cabin air fan/blower suddenly stopped working in Dec. A 2004 with 119.6k miles.

With search I am aware of the issues with motor going bad, sticking, needing a push to get going and options to clean and tune up motor bushings. (correction, I meant brushes)

However my symptoms are a bit different. What I notice is that the fan will start on its own a few seconds after changing fan from off to a setting above med-high speed. It will run for several seconds (always the same length) then turn off again. Also giving it a push after it stops (or when it doesn't start in lower fan speed settings) doesn't get it going.

It doesn't seem to fit a 'sticktion' type cause.

I did order a replacement fan unit ($45) so it would arrive this Friday when I have time to work on it this weekend, but I am not yet sure that is the root of the issue. (I know I can test if it works with 12V input, but that needs to wait until this weekend) I also understand there is an electrical module built onto the fan assembly that converts the pulse output of the controller to an input the motor can use. I am hoping if the motor is not worn out, than perhaps that converter could have issues.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have a DVM, but not much else in the way of diagnostic tools.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My advice is that you replace the fan first, then if it doesn't work you'll need to dig deeper. For now, hope that the simple solution results in success.

KK6PD likes this.
  3. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks.
    That is my tentative plan, but thought if I could better diagnose before installing the fan and find it was not it, I could return it unopened.

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would use 2 pins, and push them through the insulation of the power leads to the existing motor, left in circuit as is. Attach the DVM to the pins and watch the voltage as you turn on the blower. If the DC voltage stays constant but the fan stops, then you know the blower motor has a problem. If the voltage drops in the repeatable way you describe, then the controller is suspect.

The usual problem with these is the "brushes", not bushings. The brushes make contact with the commutator, and when worn or dirty that contact is insufficient to pass current.

KK6PD likes this.
  5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You could check the supply to the fan with a DVM, but if you do not have one a headlamp bulb will do just as well connect the bulb in place of the motor. The bulb should light depending on the fan speed selected "high speed bright light". If the lamp reacts in the same way as the motor working for a few seconds then turning off the AC control unit is suspect. The lamp will draw a similar amount of current as the motor.

John (Britprius)

6. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great advice, will try. The only thing I would not be sure of is if the controller automatically stops voltage if motor is drawing too much current or some other feedback.
    Is the controller a home garage replaceable item?

Also what is the electronic item that is part of the motor assembly shown in this video at 1:50 (and happens to be the static frame for this video so you don't have to play it):

(I know it is not the controller, it is the 'electrical module' I was referring to in my first post)

You are correct, I did mean to write 'brushes' not 'bushing.' (The motor probably uses bearings not bushings anyway)

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That appears to be the blower motor controller. My mistake in my previous post calling it the AC control unit. The blower motor controller controls the speed of the motor from a signal from the AC controller. I believe it is a pulse width modulator.

John (Britprius)

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The circuit diagram may be of help to you. See below. The fan motor is shown bottom left. AC 1of2.jpg

John (Britprius)

9. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    BINGO. The blower is a Pulse Width Modulation driven motor. The duration of the square wave will determine the speed!
    The only item the video failed to note was what looked like a diode. One definably was shaped and had a white stripe! Looking at the middle wire and ground on a simple Oscilloscope you can see the waveform and if triggered properly, you would note the pulse width actually change, hence PWM!
    Considering all the guy did was remove the module, then put it back in, he found the loose connection that was the problem! Sometimes just a wee bit of corrosion will gum up the works!

10. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've located in my Prius the small grey box that is the blower motor controller (87165)

CONTROL, BLOWER MOTOR. HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING - COOLER UNIT (PRIUS (NHW20)). TOYOTA PRIUS 1500CC 16VALVE DOHC EFI (2004 - 2009) # 8716547020

I've checked its output (that feeds the motor, terminals M in schematic above) with same results as the speed of the fan indicated:

When I switch fan from OFF to any speed setting 1-5 (where LO=1 M =4, HI=7) there is an initial voltage pulse of 5-8VAC that I an see on DVM tapering off quickly back to 0. This resulted in no movement of the motor.
    When I switch fan from OFF to speed setting 6 or 7 there is that same initial voltage 'pulse' of up to ~8V. Then ~2sec later there is a pulse of >11VAC which holds for perhaps 1/2sec and then also tapers down to 0. This resulted in motor turning of briefly after an initial pause.

Note that when I don't press OFF between speed settings change when I switch between any speed 1-5 there is no change to the voltage (0 volts), but if I switch from any 0-5 setting to 6 or 7 there is an pulse of nearly 12VAC which quickly tapers to 0.

So this points to the fan motor not being the problem, as the problem is at the output of the blower motor controller, which is controlled by the air conditioner amplifier (88650)

AMPLIFIER ASSY, AIR CONDITIONER. SWITCH & RELAY (PRIUS (NHW20)). TOYOTA PRIUS 1500CC 16VALVE DOHC EFI (2004 - 2006) # 8865047050

How can I check if inputs to blower motor controller are correct - can it be done with only DVM and no oscilloscope?

11. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That white wire "S" on pin 2 of the controller is the pulse width signal. It will be a square wave of varying duty cycle. So your DVM will measure the average voltage between that point and ground. At low fan settings it will be around 2-4 volts, at max it should show ~12V, much the same as what you saw with the motor leads.

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not having checked this myself, the signal from the AC ECU could be a 0v to 5v DC, a pulse width square wave at 5v or as you say the same at 12v. However a DVM will show a variation if the output from the ECU is correct. In my opinion it is most likely the controller is the faulty part carrying as it does the most current and heat dissipation.

John (Britprius)

13. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not getting much V reading across pin S1 and GND.

This is steady state result reading VDC:
    o=0.00 (fan=OFF)
    1=.0.13
    2=0.11
    3=0.09
    4=0.07 (fan=MED)
    5=0.05
    6=0.02
    7=-0.01 (fan=HI)
    When fan is turned on from OFF to any setting it goes to 0.11 then drops to steady state value above.

(When reading VAC:
    Fan settings 1-4 from OFF goes to .10 and holds there.
    At 5 is goes to .10 then drops to .08
    At 6 is goes to .10 then drops to .o4
    At 7 it goes to .10 then drops to 0.00 V after a bit.)

I do get ~12VDC across both GND and S1 and across GNG and +B (? cant read well on above schematic) but only when fan is not set to OFF.

14. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I found an oscilloscope and was able to determine that the waveform from the output of the harness that inputs to the blower controller (BMC) S1 terminal is peaking at 200mV - I can see it go from a narrow duty cycle to wide as I select from LO thru almost-HI but the waveform is not stable in higher fan settings where the voltage also varies from start to end of 'square' wave -. Setting HI result in no waveform.

According to this (last page), the waveform peak should be ~11V, not 200mV.
    http://priuschat.com/attachments/blower-motor-circuit-pdf.33086/

Unless I am measuring wrong (does AC ECU need to be connected to BMC for the output of AC ECU to measure correctly?), it seems it may be the AC Controller is the issue or the harness that connects from AC Controller to the blower motor controller.

15. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Given that the video linked above shows the tech using a logic pulser to detect the PWM waveform, and is thus voltage driven rather than current driven, it does indeed look like your measured peak voltage is much too low. The attached diagram shows what to expect. I agree that so far your data points to the A/C ECU. I would also expect the A/C ECU will put out a proper waveform with no load on the S lead. So that is the next thing to check. Either the A/C output is wrong, or the input to the motor controller has partially shorted with a low impedance.

Attached Files:

16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Page 6 of 7 in your attachment says that the wiring harness connectors should be attached to the air conditioner ECU so I assume the BMC should be attached to the other end of the wiring harness.

Can you measure the waveform at the A/C ECU? If you get the same result then I would agree that the A/C ECU is at fault.

If noisebeam has access to a digital multimeter, I suggest that the wiring harness connector to the BMC could be disconnected, and the ohmmeter function used to measure resistance from the terminal that receives the square wave waveform, to ground. That might shed light on whether the input has shorted.

17. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  18. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is why I asked the question because I also saw that instruction on p.6. I could tap into the B+ line by cutting a bit of insulation so I can read it while it is fully connected and use any body metal as GND.

I have not located the A/C ECU yet, it is hidden behind the lower center panel, not sure how to get that off (I have not tried yet)

I can check the resistance between terminal S1 on the BMC to GND

19. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It measures 6.4k ohm

(plug removed, checked resistance on BMC unit between GND terminal (where white wire with black stripe on the plug side connects) and S1 terminal on the BMC unit (where the thinner white wire in middle connects to on the plug side)

20. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, so I did this and the results are better. So I suspect that the BMC does need to be connected to the A/C ECU for correct output.

This is what I got (0=OFF, 7=HI) DVM reading steady state (all settings from OFF first read 3.1V for a moment before switching to steady state)
    1: 3.5V
    2: 3.0V
    3: 2.5V
    4: 2.0V
    5: 1.5V
    6: 1.oV
    7: 0.2V

I looked at the waveforms: LO fan settings have larger duty cycle than higher thru setting 6. Fan speed 7=HI looks flatline. 1 thru 6 have a 5V range from bottom to top of wave consistently.

This may be positive news for me as fixing/replacing BMC is easier and lower cost than the A/C ECU.