1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cabin heater

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Trollbait, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Anybody have experience with a 12v cabin heater?
    like this

In addition to the lower mpg in the cold, I tend to have a higher SOC. Since I avoid using the heater, I was thinking this might be a good way to put that extra charge to use.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Even using that 12v heater the car will try to maintain the higher SOC on the battery. I think that sort of 12v heater would, ultimately, be less efficient that just using the heater built into the car which uses the heat from the ICE to warm the cabin. I just keep the fan speed set low, the heat at a modest setting (usually 70-72 degrees), wear a warm coat, and Im fine.

Now, an AC heater designed to warm the battery, I want...

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I believed the higher SOC in the winter is do to the car more readily using the ICE to maintain engine and emission temp. Will the car keep the charge up if the battery is cold?

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Use the car's built-in heater. It's more efficient, plus much of the heat is waste heat from the ICE. If you use a 12VDC heater you will force the ICE to run to charge the battery, generating engine heat and wasted heat in the electrical generation process.

Tom

5. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ShellyT @ Nov 22 2006, 10:20 AM) [snapback]353026[/snapback]</div>
    If you want to warm the interior, you might be better off with a heater that you plug into a standard 110v outlet. Here's the kind of heater I'm referring too: http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_...D=1164300432114

Such heaters are popular in western Canada.

The complication is that you have to route the heater cord through the firewall. Often you can use an existing grommet, otherwise a hole has to be drilled.

I have an interior heater that last was used in my Echo HB. I'm hoping for another mild (for us) winter, so I haven't looked into installing it in the Prius.

6. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 22 2006, 08:34 AM) [snapback]353035[/snapback]</div>

Hmmmm? Electric blanket? Use it in addition to the block heater?

Dave M.