1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cabin Wind Infiltration

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by dbpr, May 12, 2015.

1. dbpr

dbpr New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi there,

Last week I bought my first ever car, a 2012 Prius with solar-sun roof. Today when I was driving on the highway (110 kmph) I noticed that there is a lot wind infiltrating into the cabin from the vents, even thought the fan is turned off. I have not noticed this in other cars I have driven. Is this normal ?? Did anyone notice so much wind inflitrating the cabin at highway speeds. I'm kind of worried, any thoughts please...

Thanks.

2. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    What is the position of the vent/recirculate switch? Might be right next to the Auto switch. When set to recirculate it should limit the amount of outside air that gets in. Not sure if it will eliminate it. I know the Gen II when set to recirculate was rather air-tight. Not sure about the Gen III. Haven't done the "skunk in the road" test yet.

3. dbpr

dbpr New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The vent/recirculate switch is set to vent. I'll set it to recirculate, hopefully it should substantially reduce the outside air coming in. Thanks for the tip !!!

4. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    And where are my manners. Welcome to PriusChat!

5. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Putting it in recirc may cause humidity to rise and fog the windows, unless you also turn on the AC. Otherwise just redirect the flow away from you, to the roof or other seat if your alone. You can also direct the air flow to the floor vents so it is less of a bother. If your feet gets cold, just set the temp to desired setting.

On the other hand, i'd like to have your problem. Having air come in from the vents with the fan off is a sure way to save on energy specially during winter. In my other cars i usually just set it to the desired temp and let the air blow in. But for some reason my Prius doesn't give me the same flow us my previous cars.

So i'm thinking either my cabin filter needs serious cleaning, or your cabin filter is missing.

AzWxGuy and valde3 like this.