1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cables everywhere ... removing the center storage console

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by edisonjo, Aug 27, 2006.

1. edisonjo

edisonjo New Member

I'm the kind of person who shouldn't be allowed to make modifications to a toaster ... that being said, love my '06 silver prius and can't stand the multiple cables coming from the center storage console used to make my iPod work (e.g., aux cable, power cable, grond loop isolator with all the convertors ...). What I'd like to do is drill a hole so that all my cables move from the main center compartment to the middle "secret" storage compartment ... but assume that I need to remove the entire center storage compartment to make this happen. Does anyone know how easy it is for a "dummies for dummies" to remove and replace the center storage console? If it starts with, "first you need to remove your front seats ...", I'll live with the functional ugliness. Thanks!

2. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(edisonjo @ Aug 27 2006, 11:26 PM) [snapback]310390[/snapback]</div>
    Do a search on " console removal ".

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'll play.

Remove the front silver trim piece that holds the two cup holders (just yank it off, all clips). That will expose the two front screws. Next, remove the felt liner on the bottom of your console (it is just sitting there, but fits tight) and you'll expose the rear two screws. That's it. Now tilt the whole thing back, and you'll need to unclip the two wire harnesses, and it should be totally free. The clips are tough to get to though!

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. Tomes

Tomes New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just did this as my daughter is taking her driving test tomorrow and I did not want to have any instant rejection issues about the console being in the way of the passenger (tester) getting his foot to the brake pedal. It was indeed easy, but with a couple of other pieces of information to help this thread for those doing this in the future.

darelldd's post is a good one. I will add that on my 2007, pkg 2, the front was held on by 2 silver cross-head screws on the front side of the console at the bottom near the floor. (I spent too much time looking inside...) Once the front cowling was yanked off the screws were there. The bolts under the liner for the rear holding down have 10mm heads.

Also the clips for the wires are much easier to get to before you take it apart and tip it back. Pull off the rear cowling (pull from the bottom) and it is all there in front of you. For the small clip on the right I used a flat head screwdriver to just pry the 2 pieces apart and it popped right off easily. For the larger one on the left, I used a tiny flat screwdriver to hold up the little tab that keeps it together on the side of the clip and it slid right out with pulling. I wiggled that one off of its mooring first.

Hope this helps someone,
    Tomes