1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cadillac blends top 2 Escalades for one really expensive hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Mar 29, 2009.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Cadillac blends top 2 Escalades for one really expensive hybrid

"Apparently, some people think that $83,000 just isn't enough money to spend on a new Escalade. That's the sticker on the Platinum edition of the big Caddy SUV. The marketing department has decided the truck needed to move closer to 6 figures to be taken seriously. Therefore, General Motors is adding the Escalade Platinum Edition hybrid to its lineup...

Cadillac hasn't said when the Platinum hybrid will go on sale or what it will cost. The conventional all-wheel-drive Platinum starts at almost $84,000 so adding the two-mode will likely bring the price tag close to $90,000 or more."

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What is the breakeven point for the Hybrid version? :madgrin:

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    While I laugh at the overall implementation, I will applaud that this is a FULL hybrid and not just the 36V mild assist via fan belt implementation. I'd never be in the market for something that ginormous or gluttonous. If I want to waste gas, I'll do it up in the air in something that has wings. ;)

GM - reduce the engine size to 4 liters and the MPG may actually be respectable for a vehicle that size.

Or, better yet - apply this same technology to your smaller cars and you may actually have a decent Aura or Malibu hybrid. A Hybrid Cobalt w/ this tech may actually be doable for GM fanboys looking for some Prius competition built in the US. I probably still wouldn't buy one, but it'd be a HUGE step in the right direction and could possibly turn your company around.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Guess they need more bling in the Esclade to attract a certain crowd. I had a sticker shock when I saw the price of the Esclade because I remember a much lower price for the previous generation.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That thing'll pummel blind pedestrians.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, it's been said that for an adult, it's better to be hit by an SUV than a passenger car because the force is distributed over entire body rather than just the lower body. But of course there's the extra mass of an SUV to consider....

7. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The part where 20 mpg is called "exceptional fuel economy" is funny. Has someone coined the term Blingmobile yet?

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    20mpg city . . . then you take the what . . . 16mpg freeway for an average of 18mpg? Just when I thought Wagoner couldn't out-do himself. And (as Wagoner used to say) "What about the payback period?" :cool:

. . . . . . It delivers 20 mpg in city driving – a 50-percent city mileage improvement over non-hybrid models

so . . . that means their non-hybrid gets a whopping 13.5mpg. what a way to hide an obscene fact.

An electrically driven, 300-volt air conditioning compressor reduces vibration and allows the HVAC system to cool the passenger compartment even when the gasoline engine is shut off.

wow! What'd it take ... only a DECADE or so for GM to finally get around to copying the Prius AC? (shaking head) . . . that's real progress there boys.

But where's the Hum Vee Strech Limo full hybrid? Yea! That's what I'M wait'n for. Just think ... the non-hybrid version gets 4mpg ... so a 50% improvement would be 6mpg ... a HUGE savings! Only in the mind of a dufus.
    Is it any wonder the U.S. is heading for 3rd world status?

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's 20mpg on $4 gas if Waggoner gets what he wants. I'll bet people will be standing in line at the Caddy dealer to buy one of these.:D

10. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, only five years. Classic Prius has belt-driven A/C. It can still stop the engine if the compressor isn't needed at the moment, but the engine has to run to run the compressor.

The electric A/C in 2004 and newer Prius has its own section of the inverter to produce three-phase AC (alternating current) to drive the compressor. (Some sources say single-phase, but I can see three connections named OUT-U, OUT-V and OUT-W in the wiring diagram - U, V and W are the conventional names for three phases.) The power demand of the compressor is too great to run from 12V.

GM's EV1 had electric air conditioning.

11. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I wonder if GM will give Wagoner one of these as a parting gift...

12. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just imagine if Wagoner would have scrapped the development of the Escalade Hybrid in favor of a Cobalt (or other smaller) Hybrid. Would he still have a job today?

13. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They'll be picking pedestrian parts out of the Escalead grill! Oh, the humanity!

Seriously I was hit on my bike by a deadbeat driving an old civic and flew over the hood. After some prompting he agreed to pay for my bike (I was relatively OK). He then "disappeared" after a token downpayment. If it had been a big-nice person Escalaed or Range Rover the driver may have been able to pay for my bike, but I probably wouldn't have been able to ride it. :(