1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cal HOV lane bill amendment for local expressways

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by elmofongo, Apr 26, 2006.

1. elmofongo

elmofongo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For those who showed their support by emailing the legislators: THANKS

MEASURE : A.B. No. 1879
    AUTHOR(S) : Lieber.
    TOPIC : Vehicles: HOV lanes.
    HOUSE LOCATION : ASM

VOTE SUMMARY :
    Ayes: 09
    Noes: 04
    Result: PASS

Anyone know what the process is from a passed amendment bill to becoming law?
    Does the Governator need to sign it first?

Thanks

-Adriano

2. m8cca

m8cca Junior Member

3. elmofongo

elmofongo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Might be quicker since it's just an amendment of a section of the vehicle code
    that was recently added.

An act to amend Section 21655.9 of the Vehicle Code, relating to
    vehicles, and declaring the urgency thereof, to take effect
    immediately.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(m8cca @ Apr 27 2006, 10:14 AM) [snapback]246104[/snapback]</div>

4. m8cca

m8cca Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elmofongo @ Apr 27 2006, 01:12 PM) [snapback]246244[/snapback]</div>
    In the article, it explains:

"Urgency measures take effect immediately after they are signed or allowed to become law without signature."

So it does not need to wait till the first day of January of the next year. I think that's the only speed up.

5. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elmofongo @ Apr 26 2006, 01:31 PM) [snapback]245706[/snapback]</div>
    By the number of votes for this at this passage, it appears to me that this was an Assembly committee vote. So now it goes to the floor of the Assembly for a full vote. If it passes then it's off to the Senate side for a vote. It could go back to the assembly for more amending or they can pass it on to the Governor for his signature.

Might still be a while.

6. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

Can someone explain what exactly this is? Is it for extending the HOV program beyond July 2008?

7. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Potential Buyer @ Apr 29 2006, 12:29 AM) [snapback]247119[/snapback]</div>
    From my reading of the bill text, it appears that the important change is that it overrides local-authority HOV lane restrictions, in addition to its normal state-road HOV lanes. This means that HOV stickers would allow hybrids to use the HOV lane on local expressways, where city and county laws apply to HOV lanes. (San Tomas Expy in the San Jose area of Santa Clara County comes to mind.) The existing law only applies to state roads.

I didn't see any reference to the expiration date, so I assume it remains unchanged for now.

8. m8cca

m8cca Junior Member

This doesn't seem right:

Bill Amended?

Did we lose the bill totally? It is not the same thing any more.

9. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Wth???

It appears our bill has fallen victim to a legislative trick. I suppose they gutted our bill and replaced with something else because it probably was on the calandar already and our "sponsor" wanted to push some other legislation through at the expense of our issue.

I'm pissed. :angry:

10. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Jun 19 2006, 10:42 PM) [snapback]273933[/snapback]</div>
    How is that GUTTED? It just IS NOT THERE. All the crossed out stuff was about HOV lanes and all the new stuff is PENAL CODE. How can that BE??? Wth indeed!