1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Calculated mileage WAY lower than MFD per tank value.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by butchbs1985, Mar 28, 2007.

1. butchbs1985

butchbs1985 Taking things apart is fun!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Before you all say to read other forums, please note that I already have. I have adjusted my driving and according to the MFD, I am doing alright.

I understand that there will be a difference between the MFD and hand calculations but when I do them, I get the following:

Hand calculation: 33.5 MPG (Calculated over 3800 Miles)
    Recorded MFD average: 42 MPG. (That is the average. My recorded values range from 39.5 - 44 MPG)

Why on earth would there be that much difference? I can understand 1 - 2 MPG variance but not almost 10. Not to mention the fact that others here are getting a consistent 45MPG. I do about 70% highway driving and most trips last over 30 Min. I do use the cruise when on the highway as much as possible (I am a multitasker).

Also, I have never put more than 9 gallons of fuel in. (9 gallons was when it was blinking at me).

I am not so much concerned about the fuel capacity but the mileage variance is startling. Any insight is appreciated.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm... that is a large difference lol. My 05's difference is definitely smaller (I think it's something like 46mpg vs. 48mpg.

The most I've put in was 9 gallons too on my record tank last summer. I'm not sure how the average of 42 is achieved when it ranges from 29.5 to 44 unless you have 99% of them at 44mpg and only one at 29.5)

3. butchbs1985

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Mar 28 2007, 06:57 PM) [snapback]413843[/snapback]</div>
    That is my bad. I meant 39.5. I will correct it in the initial post as well.

4. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK lets try this again. Hand calc relates to 113 gallons. MFD reflects 90 gallons. 23 gallons missing. Could someone have siphoned gas over a period of time or could you have added in the initial fill up gallons by mistake (couldn't account for all of it)?

Edit: Another thought. Did you get the average MFD by calculating gallons used from each tank? There are some spreadsheet floating around that do that. If so, are there any fillups where the difference is large or is it distributed over all the fillups?

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The averaging of your MFD per-tank numbers will be less accurate than a hand calculation that divides total miles by total gallons. For example, a tank of 7 gallons at 45 MPG will make less impact in your hand calculations than one of 9 gallons at 45 MPG, though they carry equal weight in the MFD averaging.

In addition, as I assume you've discovered in your searching, others have documented that the MFD does not agree 100% with calculated mileage.

Whether these factors would make they much of a difference, I can't say. There are still some unknowns, like how many of your tanks were less than 9 gallons and by how much.

6. butchbs1985

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    OOPS :eek: Sorry to all. After reviewing my calculations, I see that I can not read my own handwriting. Upon further review (Thanks to your responses and common sense) I have revised my calculations.

Now:

Calculated Average: 39.3 And now I have the cool signature to show for it!
    MFD average: 42

That is close enough for me. Now I just need to find out how to get 45+ MPG like most of you. Sorry for my apparent incompetence. (I am using a spreadsheet from now on).

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    butchbs1985, the differences between my calculations and the MFD have been up to 20%. I believe there is a wider margin when it is colder. During the summer I'm off 1 or 2 mpg.

I'm always excited when I gas up and the MFD reads in the mid 50's and disappointed when my calculations come in under 50.

I did not take a mpg hit this winter attributable to using Shell gas exclusively, increasing the tp to 42/40, and blocking the grill.

8. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Check this thread that begins with an analysis of my 2006 mileage (and a reference to how it was computed). I showed that computed mileage from a log book was about 3% lower than the MFD and speculated on the reasons. Other posters reported similar results. If you look at the attached spreadsheet, you'll see that the my tank fill point ( I always whent a click or two past the initial click-off) was quite inconsistent from fill-up to fill-up.

9. chuck kershner

chuck kershner New Member

Now that it is warming up in Central New York, my MFD shows 39.7 mpg; my hand calc on the last tank came out at 40 mpg based on 8.3 gallons over 332 miles. This is about as good as I've ever gotten after 49 mpg during the first 600 miles. Now have 5,400 miles and with typically hot weather up here in summer, I might see a slight improvement. Since MFD and hand calcs are so close, I'm assuming this is about the best my '06 Prius is going to do after Pulse & Glide, cruise control, slow braking, slow acceleration, yadda, yadda.

10. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: Over 2½ years, my original '04 Prius and my now '07 Prius, I have found the MFD MPG to be somewhat over 98% accurate - "Close enough for government work!" It takes multiple 'tanks' to reduce the hand-calculated MPG errors from tank to tank due to variations in the pumps' calibrations, the bladder's 'stiffness', the temperature of the fuel itself, etc. etc.

Since my original interest in the Prius was its advanced technology, I consider the fuel economy a most welcome added attraction, but definitely do not obsess over MPG.

RELAX... enjoy your unique automobile.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(butchbs1985 @ Mar 28 2007, 06:11 PM) [snapback]413882[/snapback]</div>
    Glad to know that was solved.