1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Calculating life time average

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by hdrygas, Dec 26, 2004.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was sitting around watching football and decided to work on my "numbers" I have been writing down my data from the screen and odometer on the gas receipts. I hoped to calculate my life time average. To this I had been adding up my total miles driven and the total amount of gas used. I have also been calculating the tank average to compare to the computer calculation to see if I can figure out why they vary from one another. I did the calculations and boom there it was 57.35 m.p.g. life time average up from 53.84. I have lost a receipt. :cussing: 347 miles unaccounted for. I suspect I once knew the answer to my next question but it is long gone, I do not use math enough any longer. How close is an average of the actual tank miles to the a life time average calculated the way I was orginally calculating it. I would think that it is not exact but close and would get closer and closer to the real number as you continue. Some of you whose math skills are more intact than mine leep in here. BTW the average of the averages for 17 tanks calculation put me at 49.79 today for a life time average. The lost data was in mid October while my numbers were still high with the temperatures.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You can look at my mileage (in my sig) and see my two averages side-by-side. They are extremely close.

If you want to PM or email me the math that you have for all the other receipts, I would be happy to try and recreate the missing one. Basically, I have a long weekend and currently very little to do. :)