1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Calif-Select Hybrids Exempt frm Smog Test until 2010

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by hb06, Oct 19, 2006.

1. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In case the subject comes up for any new Prius owners:

The following HEVs are being exempted from inspections until January 1, 2010:

*Updated list:

"The following hybrid vehicles have been exempted from biennial and change-of-ownership Smog Check inspections until January 1, 2010: "

Ford Escape Hybrid
    Honda Accord, Civic-all model years, and Insight-all model years Hybrids
    Lexus RX 400h, GS 450h, and LS 600h Hybrids
    Mercury Mariner Hybrid
    Nissan Altima Hybrid
    Saturn Vue Hybrid
    Toyota Camry, Highlander, and Prius-all model years Hybrids

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Bo...heck/hybrid.htm

original 2004 Press Release
    http://www.dca.ca.gov/press_releases/2004/0630_bar.htm

2. travis624

travis624 New Member

WOW, I believe all new vehicles are exempt from there first smog inspection, at year 2, and since Calif smog's every 2 years, the smog on any new vehicle (2006 or newer) would not be required until 2010, 2007's 2011, ect... there 4th year.

Leave it to the state of California

Again WOW................

:blink:

3. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ail @ Oct 19 2006, 08:53 AM) [snapback]335108[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HBO6 -

That's NOT new news! That link above was published in 2004!

4. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fphinney @ Nov 15 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]349950[/snapback]</div>
    The BAR Press Release, which occurred in 2004, was not meant to be news, just for information only, and new vehicles have been added (see updated list). Post says 'just in case the subject comes up' for new Prius owners. Guess it has, as there are over 180 hits. No one I asked knew the answer to the question, does a 'clean' HEV ever need a smog test? These regulations are periodically revised and/or repealed. There are also other informative links once on the CA Dept of Consumer Affairs site. For "HEVs", there will be new testing in 2010, but am hoping the Prius will have a rolling exemption.

"HEV emissions performance cannot be appropriately determined by current Smog Check inspection procedures. BAR plans to create new testing procedures that are specifically applicable to HEVs and will be used beginning in 2010."

5. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(travis624 @ Nov 15 2006, 12:35 PM) [snapback]349712[/snapback]</div>
    The regulations for biennial, change-of-ownership, and out of state inspections are periodically revised and/or repealed, and, in addition, wanted to include the issue of older Prius models; per press release, all model years are exempt. The question arose, does a 'clean' HEV ever need a Smog test? BAR says for "HEVs", there will be new testing in 2010. Hopefully, the Prius will continue to be exempt.

"HEV emissions performance cannot be appropriately determined by current Smog Check inspection procedures. BAR plans to create new testing procedures that are specifically applicable to HEVs and will be used beginning in 2010."

6. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Will our 04s be required to get a "smog check" in California?

Yup...just got my renewal notice in the mail, due date of 2/8/10, smog check is required.

guess the state needs the money...wait, the cost of the test goes to the station, do not know, but all i need to know is i get to go and get tested...yay.
    :mad::mad::mad:
    :mad:art

7. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good news for everyone; bad news for me...sure enough, not to worry, the Prius is NOT required to be smog checked. Except for me. Apparently there was a mistake when Carson Toyota registered my car and they said it was a gas vehicle; therefore, I have to go to the DMV on the 30th and get my car "verified" that it is indeed a hybrid...sigh.