1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

California DMV HOV / Clean Air Vehicle Sticker Webpage UPDATED

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bugmenot, Feb 8, 2007.

1. bugmenot

bugmenot New Member

California DMV's webpage on HOV / Clean Air Vehicle Stickers has been updated with procedures on:

1. What vehicles still qualify for the HOV stickers.

2. How to transfer the stickers if you purchase a vehicle with existing stickers (there doesn't appear to be a fee).

3. How to obtain replacement stickers for your existing vehicle (for a fee).

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can transfer them?

Really?

Cool. I'm gonna read up on that.

Oops. Well, you can transfer the ownership of the car that has the stickers, I.E. put the stickers in your name, but you can't transfer them from one car to another. Looks like I'll be keeping mine until at least Jan 1, 2011. (They probably won't have liI or plug in until then anyway.)

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Anybody have a clue about the "2004" wording?

"A 2004 model-year or older vehicle that meets the California ultra-low emission vehicle (ULEV) standard for exhaust emissions and the federal ILEV standard. "

I know folks who have gotten them in recent years for newly-converted EVs.

4. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, at first I was bummed to find that I wouldn't be getting one. But then I realized it's really not that big of a deal. and if you think about it, it doesn't really make sense to have them to begin with. The whole point of the 'carpool' lane (and I know somebody's gonna be upset about this one) is the 'carpool' part. while less pollution is also a nice side effect, having a cleaner vehicle shouldn't count as a 'carpool'.
    I'm also not too bummed cause i'll be getting better mileage sitting in the slow moving traffic (up to a point) than slowing everybody down going 65 in the carpool lane. although I am lucky to live a mere 8 miles from work and never have to get on the freeway. It's going to the beach that puts the miles on. plus I don't have to have those ugly stickers! :)

i'm just playin'. congrats to everybody who jumped on the bandwagon way earlier than I!

5. curtissac

curtissac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jgills240 @ Feb 19 2007, 03:06 AM) [snapback]392750[/snapback]</div>
    Less pollution is not a "nice side effect" of carpool lanes. It is one of the two intended effects. Saving gas and reducing pollution was the entire purpose of encouraging carpools. Hybrids do both.

I was one of those, even after I pruchased a hybrid, thought that allowing hybrids in the carpool lane was unfair. Not because it defeated the purpose, but because it seemed like I was "buying my way into the carpool lane." Those people that couldn't afford a new car didn't have the ability to get the privilege. I have since gotten over that.

I'll tell you what access I think is bunk. In those areas where a carpool is defined as three persons, CA allows two passengers to qualify in 2-seater cars and pickups. What a bunch a crap. A guy driving a conventional Honda Civic has to find two carpool buddies, while someone driving a 'Vette only needs one. And the pickup exemption is easily the most abused I have seen. Appears some people think, incorrectly, that ANY pickup qualifies. EVERYDAY I see dozens of large pickups with four doors and 5-6 seats driving in the carpool lane with only two occupants. They should get tickets, you say? Big problem with the most crowded carpools lanes in the bay area is the inability to effectively enforce them - Too easy for the scofflaws to dodge in and out, and too hard for CHP to effectively monitor.

If we end up with crowded carpool lanes and need to start kicking people out, I say yank the exemption for pickups and sports cars. If you drive an F-350 or a Ferrari... You should be required to have three people to be a carpool.