1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

California HOV Stickers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bbutler, Aug 3, 2006.

1. bbutler

bbutler Junior Member

I bought an '06 Prius on June 29 and, based on one of the posts here, arranged to take the registration paperwork to the DMV myself. I also, based on a conversation with Caltrans, got my new Fastrak transponder the next day and sent the completed paperwork to the DMV. It didn't work.

Both of these moves were in an attempt to get my carpool stickers immediately. Neither worked. The stickers can ONLY be issued by the DMV office in Sacramento.. and officials there won't issue them until you've got your plates.

So here I sit broken-hearted, tried to cruise in the carpool lane and only false-started.

Bob

2. Bearcatzzz

Bearcatzzz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bobbutler7 @ Aug 2 2006, 09:50 PM) [snapback]296791[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think you need your plates, just the info on the plates. Contact your salesperson and have them get that info for you. They can get the info using your VIN and give you the plate info.

There is another thread that discusses this and is where I got the idea.

3. lytthans

lytthans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, you do need your plates before they'll issue the stickers.

The VIN is linked to your plate number, and won't be on file with the DMV (no matter what other stuff you sign up for) until the plates are issued.

Also, it clearly says on the application form that you've got to include your license plate number or stickers will not be issued (I read somewhere that over 20% of all the applications are rejected for just this reason).

5. orubin

orubin Junior Member

I IMMEDIATELY got my FastTrak update the day I got my car. If you are in an area that requires a new Fastrak transponder, get it NOW, you do not need your plates. If not, do not worry about it.

Download the appropriate form, fill it out, attach the $8 check (which some forms do not request but seems to be required) and be ready to send it in. Check with your dealer to see if you can get plate info early as that will help. Their computers to the DMV might be able to get that info.

In my case, the DMV did the right thing for me. I sent my forms in to Sacramento BEFORE I had my plates, and realized that I needed plate info according to news reports in the SF Bay Area too late. SIGH. Thought I was screwed. In the Bay Area, you also must include your ORIGINAL receipt from the Fastrak group, copies are not accepted. Did this now mean I needed to wait to be rejected to reapply because I needed the original form back? How long would that take?

Two weeks later, the dealer called me and said they had my plates. I logged onto my Bank's website and noticed that Sacramento DMV had cashed my $8 check a day after that. A week later, my stickers arrived and my plate info was filled in by the DMV. (The DMV doing something right? I was amazed!) My guess is that IF the plates are issued when they process your form, they will use the VIN to try and look up the plate numbers, and will fill it in and process if available. If they are not issued when they process the form, they reject it.

According to the article in the SF Chronice, about 2000 rejections a month were happening for lack of $8 check, and/or no plates. I got lucky. Your mileage may varry.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bobbutler7 @ Aug 2 2006, 09:50 PM) [snapback]296791[/snapback]</div>

6. pricoaster

pricoaster Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Sep 12 2006, 04:01 PM) [snapback]318615[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't know my plate number on my application and I received my stickers yesterday (749xx). I think I put "New-Being Issued" where you are supposed to put your plate number. So, no, you don't need your plate number...what needs to happen is that your car needs to be registered when they open your application. They can then type in the VIN and see the plate number. I think this is where a lot of people are getting screwed...you just gotta time it right.

7. warrior

warrior New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Another revenue devise for the state!!!!

8. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Holy thread reserection, batman!

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    13 more months ... stickers expire ... it'll all be a moot issue.

10. Tim in Hollywood

Tim in Hollywood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just drive in the carpool lane, whether you have passengers or not. A lone driver in the carpool lane is rarely (if ever) enforced.

Police and CHP spend all of their time pulling over people for using their cell phones. No time to watch for carpool lane scofflaws.

1 person likes this.
  11. shimadog

shimadog New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I sincerely hope YOU get a ticket.