1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

California hybrid vehicle bill passes assembly!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Jeemz, May 7, 2004.

1. Jeemz

Jeemz New Member

SACRAMENTO
    Assembly OKs perk for hybrid vehicles

Christian Berthelsen
    Friday, May 7, 2004

A bill that would give drivers of low-emission hybrid vehicles special access to car-pool lanes cleared the Assembly floor Thursday.

High-occupancy vehicle lanes now limit use to vehicles with one or two passengers, but AB2628 by Assemblywoman Fran Pavley, D-Agoura Hills, would open them to drivers of hybrid vehicles -- even when driving alone. The bill's supporters say the privilege would create an incentive for drivers to purchase the low-emission vehicles, making commuting easier on the environment.

The measure, which is backed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Treasurer Phil Angelides, drew bipartisan support but was opposed by some conservatives.

Assemblyman Ray Haynes, R-Riverside, who selected a Chevrolet Tahoe for his state car, said in a floor speech opposing the bill: "Only rich folks will drive them, and the rich folks will get the benefits.''

The bill, which passed the Assembly 54-14, now goes to two Senate policy committees and the Senate floor, where it is expected to win easy passage. The governor has pledged to sign it.

Don't you love what Ray Haynes said??

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Woohoo, we're all rich!!!

3. cybele

cybele New Member

Isn't it obvious as rich people that our time is more valuable!

We'll use that extra time to post more in these forums, take photos of our cars, calcluate the difference in the computed mileage and the tank miles to the fifteenth decimal place and of course learn Japanese so that we can read the homeland Toyota fan sites.

On a more serious note - I'm not quite sure what planet a fellow has to live on to think that a $22,000 car is for rich people.

Anyone know what the median price of a new car is these days? I'll wager it's higher than $25K.

4. shona

shona New Member

"Only rich folks will drive them, and the rich folks will get the benefits.''

WooHoo! I am no longer low income status! I'm rich!

"Anyone know what the median price of a new car is these days? I'll wager it's higher than $25K."

I see a lot of high end SUV's and H2's those are from $30K-50K esp the BMW's and Mercedes'. My sister's accord was ~$25K and I think her CRV was close to that as well.

shona